High Definition signals/equipment

Dellman 10:21 03 Jan 2007

I have recently purchased a Toshiba 32WLT66 TV. What options are there to get High Definition pictures on there? The TV comes with Freeview and I also have Cable (TelePest...ooops Telewest!!)

Any suggestions regarding DVD players? Is using a DVD with HD "upscaling" worth considering? Any product recommendations that would include HDD too?

rodriguez 16:11 03 Jan 2007

If you have cable, you could see about upgrading it to HD (Telewest TV-Drive, click here). Or you could change over to Sky HD, but if you're used to having cable then you'll probably want to keep it. It also might be cheaper to you have your cable TV upgraded to HD. As for DVD players, there will soon be BluRay and HD-DVD players available, however the two formats will be incompatible with each other. It's best to wait until either there's one format that succeeds and gets used the most or until there's a player that can play both formats. For now you could use a DVD player with upscaling, then get the full HD equipment later on. Also, Xbox 360 uses a HD signal and so will the PS3 when it's released. However the Nintendo Wii doesn't, so if you want a games console with HD output you should go for Xbox 360 or PS3.

Dellman 16:26 03 Jan 2007

Any recommendations as to a suitable recorder, DVD and Hard Disk, that would be suitable for upscaling?

Dellman 16:47 04 Jan 2007

Any recommendations as to a suitable recorder, DVD and Hard Disk, that would be suitable for upscaling?

Does upscaling make any significant difference to picture quality?

siouxah1 20:15 04 Jan 2007

Dellman, there is a lot said about upscaling. Many for and many against.
My own experience is this. The Panasonic EX75 and 85 both upscale to 576p, 720p, and 1080i. I use the EX 75 HDD recorder and believe that when it upscales to a 42" Philips that a better picture is produced at 720p or 1080i. The more native resolution would be the 720p which is near the 728 native resolution of the TV. If you feed 1080i the TV will scale it back to 720p.
To be certain you would need to evaluate the picture yourself.
However - if the signal transmitted is rubbish then no amount of upscaling will give a good picture. I am referring to DVD playing. Another player is the Toshiba 350.
You might like to have a browse on the following site. Much is written for and against upscaling.

click here

Dellman 11:46 05 Jan 2007

Would this model do the trick?

click here

Dellman 10:31 08 Jan 2007

I understand that I can get HD programming via Cable (TelePest...ooops Telewest)but to do so would need to get a new box - TV Drive.

Is this any good. What % of programming can I expect to get as High Definition? Is the TV Drive for recording as good as Sky+?

Dellman 14:03 08 Jan 2007

I understand that I can get HD programming via Cable (TelePest...ooops Telewest)but to do so would need to get a new box - TV Drive.

Is this any good. What % of programming can I expect to get as High Definition? Is the TV Drive for recording as good as Sky+?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?