high definition

scrum half 17:40 01 Nov 2007

i have a 42" panasonic vierra hd ready TV and sky + box. but the quality of the HD pictures do not compare with ones i see on display in various stores. the signal strength indicators show about 50% on imput one and about 40% on input two.
any ideas anyone?
derek

anskyber 17:47 01 Nov 2007

You do mean, I assume a Sky HD box not just Sky+?

anskyber 17:48 01 Nov 2007

PS you are using the HDMI connections from box to TV?

john bunyan 17:53 01 Nov 2007

What input do you use for comparison? Stores are probably using Blue Ray or HDD inputs on HD discs. As far as I know only one or two premium Sky TV channels (do you have these ?) or experimental Freeview are available to compare. I bet the stores are not showing normal live TV.It will be years before Freeview BBC etc , if ever , will be broadcast in true HDD.I would wait for Blue Ray etc to get cheaper if I were you, unless you are a real HDD enthusiast.

anskyber 17:57 01 Nov 2007

There are now 13 channels on Sky broadcasting in HD.

john bunyan 18:02 01 Nov 2007

asnkyber. Thanks for info. I just think I pay enough licence fee without "having" to buy Sky, as I have enough viewing on Freeview plus a DVDR. I think BBC and ITV etc have been very slow to follow Sky on HDD on Freeview.

scrum half 18:02 01 Nov 2007

thanks for all you responses, yes the sky box is HD,and the TV to sky box connection is by HDMI.

scrum half 18:03 01 Nov 2007

thanks for all you responses, yes the sky box is HD,and the TV to sky box connection is by HDMI.
derek

anskyber 18:43 01 Nov 2007

odd. The HD content on my box is exceptional. Be aware though that not all content broadcast on the HD channels is HD, some is upscaled SD. Press the information button and it will say HD if it is and will say nothing if it is not.

BBC preview is all HD as a good test.

scrum half 20:55 01 Nov 2007

anskyber, interesting to read that your HD reception is exceptional. what is your normal viewing distance from your TV.

anskyber 22:27 01 Nov 2007

I have a 40 inch Sony TV which I view at various distances.

A test for me is at what point do you become aware of the pixels? On SD it can be at 10 feet, but on HD I can get to within 2-3 feet.

A CRT TV also "degrades" but tends to hold onto definition, CRT cannot come close to HD on a large flat panel TV. Generally signal strength and the associated signal quality tend to be either good enough or there is picture break up in terms of blocking.

Often 50-60% signal strength is all that can be expected. 100% is not usually achievable. Is it worth looking at your TV settings? One thing I have noticed on HD forums is that the settings in the HD box for HD picture is often best left at 1080i rather than automatic, worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?