Hi Definition TV from the BBC

anchor 17:12 29 Sep 2007

I read very recently that the BBC have yet to finalise the system they will use when they fully commence high definition broadcasts. There was even talk that some HD ready TV`s may have to use an additional decoder box.

If that is the case, then surely it would be advisable to postpone buying a HD TV until it is resolved.

Has anyone further information about this?.

powerless 17:38 29 Sep 2007

I'm pretty certain that HDTVs do not come with any HD decoder. They have freeview in them but nothing for HD.

When the roll out of HD increases, we might see HD decoder built in as it were like freeview.

Stuartli 17:46 29 Sep 2007

The HD feature on TV sets is available for other reasons than merely the possibility of BBC Freeview HD transmissions...:-)

Press Man 10:57 01 Oct 2007

Surely HD ready tv's should accept HD broadcasts, otherwise everyone who has purchased an HD ready tv has been, in my opinion, some what misled, and now find that they may have to pay out for another bit of kit?

Stuartli 18:24 01 Oct 2007

You have to have an HD set top box to receive Sky transmissions.

The fact that a TV set is HD ready merely means that you are able to watch such transmissions (or alternative HD sources) - it's basically the same as signing up for Sky satellite and having to have a Sky box to pick the programmes up.

anchor 18:47 01 Oct 2007

Stuartli: Yes, I understand that is the case for the Sky-HD.

What about the BBC-HD broadcasts when they start?. I assume they will be free, unlike the Sky-HD.

Stuartli 23:33 01 Oct 2007

See|:

click here

anchor 08:22 02 Oct 2007

Stuartli: Thank you.

It seems that at this time it would be advisable to hold off buying a HD-TV until things are settled. Probably the manufactures will then include the necessary converter.

Stuartli 09:05 02 Oct 2007

There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to "hold off" buying an HD ready television - in fact virtually all on sale now are so equipped.

The manufacturers may or may not include a suitable "converter" in the future (it would depend on whether customers wanted the feature or, indeed, if it was appropriate).

If you are considering buying a new LCD or plasma TV, the main thing to watch out for at present is that, apart from being HD ready, it has a Freeview/digital tuner as standard.

Some comparatively low cost sets currently on offer don't have a digital tuner, only analogue, which means that a separate Freeview set top box has to be used with such a set.

Stuartli 09:07 02 Oct 2007

These low cost sets without a digital tuner are, in the majority of cases, older models being sold off.

Sensible buyers ensure they acquire HD ready TVs.

al7478 15:36 02 Oct 2007

You only need a digital tuner if in a good igital area, and if you intend to watch freeview, surey?

Personally im very HD scepticle. The bbc thing is just one channel, for a few hours a day - if it does indeed happen that way. Hardly any Sky channels are available in HD. Ive no idea what the virgin situation is.

But there's a long road ahead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?