Help Finding Small Form Factor PCs

Assassin 13:21 24 Feb 2007

Can anyone suggest any manacturers of small form factor PCs please? I want a stylish small barebone PC to connect to my kitchen TV display for very basic tasks like email etc.

I like the Mac Mini a lot. But my home network is all PCs. Does anyone make PCs as small as the Mac Mini? I've seen the Shuttle, Advent, Dell and HP mini PCs and they're much bigger/uglier.

Alternatively would it be OK to network a Mac with my XP Pro and Win98 PCs?

Grateful for any advice. Thanks

There should be no problem networking a Mac and PC together. If you only want to perform basic tasks then I think a Mac would be ideal for you. I have not seen any PCs that look as neat as the Mac mini either.

Take a look here if you want to set up file sharing click here. If you just want to share the internet through a router then you will not have to perform any configurations between the Mac and PCs.

Assassin 19:11 25 Feb 2007

[email protected] - only just seen your reply posted yesterday. Thanks very much for the help.

It will be the 3rd computer so not required to do heavy duties. Mac Mini it is then. Thanks also for the file sharing link as I'm sure I will want to share files as well as the Internet connection.

Do you know if I will be able to access all my email accounts from the Mac (BT, Orange and Hotmail; first one POP3, others webmail)?)

Yes you will be able to access your e-mails. OS X has a built in e-mail client and you will be able to surf the net just as you would on a Windows computer to check your Orange and Hotmail accounts.

There is also a program called Boot Camp that allows you to install Windows onto an Intel based Mac should you want to stick with Windows. click here for more information.

Assassin 21:45 26 Feb 2007

... for all your help. Absolutely brilliant.

bennyhillslovechild 22:56 26 Feb 2007

Evesham make a mini-pc which is about the same size as the mac mini click here

Also look for AOpen's Mini PC, essentially a Mac Mini clone.

silverous 14:04 27 Feb 2007

Shuttle have just brought one out reviewed in this month's pc pro:

click here

It is pretty small indeed as can be seen by the photo of it next to a remote control.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?