Help changing from sky to freeview aerial

elsmore1 22:15 22 Jul 2009

Hi,
I have a TV in bedroom put in by a TV guy who has moved from area now as I would get him back, but we had problems and he added a labgear PUH111 in loft for 1 aerial and also a wolsey WPS 100/2 power unit plugged in by TV. This works very well for us but the problem is this:

In the lounge we have sky and with a new TV the signal sometimes goes black and also a bit pinky purple, sound is always ok, as DVD works fine swapped scart lead etc we guess problem is with skybox or signal, but we have decided to get rid of sky and get freeview but the aerial in lounge is not connected upstairs in loft.

I have ordered a f-type connector to fit on end and swap with my exisitng bedroom tv to see what signal is like. I assume it will be poor so will I need another power unit like the wolsey and how can I fit 2 TV coax cables. Do I need a larger labgear box and another power supply.

I assume it will work in some way as the TV in bedroom is fine!

Mant Thanks for advice

Stuartli 14:15 23 Jul 2009

As you already presumably have the Sky dish, why not go for Freesat rather than Freeview?

All you will need is a one off payment for a Freesat SD or HD set top box and you should be away (no subscriptions)...:-)

See:

click here

Freesat STBs from outlets such as Argos:

click here

If you decide to go the Freesat route, may I respectfully suggest you choose a Humax model, preferably HD?

The BBC was involved with the establishing of both Freeview and Freesat.

Terry Brown 14:22 23 Jul 2009

If the TV in the bedroom is fine, this points to the new TV needing re-tuning.
You will need to read the instruction booklet to find how to retune your TV.
Terry

dms_05 21:37 23 Jul 2009

Forget Stuartli's suggestion about buying lots of new equipment - you already own all the satellite equipment you need to get FTA and FTV channels. Simply cancel your Sky subscription, the receiver and card will access all FTA SD stations and a few additional FTV stations not available via Freesat.

However if you want to view the very limited amount of HD on Freesat then spend the £275 on a Humax PVR - assuming you already own an HDTV otherwise budget £1,000.

Stuartli 00:11 24 Jul 2009

>>Forget Stuartli's suggestion about buying lots of new equipment>>

Please advise me on how purchasing one STB constitutes buying "..lots of new equipment?"

The Sky FTA channels can be readily seen here:

click here

(not a great deal to attract I would suggest)

and Freesat at:

click here

Again some may not suit, but they are being added to on a regular basis.

Stuartli 00:16 24 Jul 2009

I would second the PVR idea if affordable, but I think you rightly have the Humax Foxsat-HDR in mind based on the cost of £275..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?