HDMI but no sound!

numskull 10:41 01 Aug 2007

I have a Sony DVPNS76 DVD player and have recently bought HDMI cables. I am not getting a picture but telly only has DVI D connection and all I am getting is the odd piece of text flashing up. I was expecting that as I did not think the telly was HDCP. However, I would have thought that I could still receive sound via the Sony ST 1000 amplifier. HDMI is lighting up in the display window but if I disconnect the coaxial cable the sound disappears.
What am I doing wrong?

numskull 14:10 01 Aug 2007

I know but I am not getting sound through the amp which is HDMI - HDMI. I think that I have read that the amp needs a repeater on it otherwise you still need to connect either a coaxial or digital optical cable. Not sure why.

Stuartli 14:35 01 Aug 2007

You will need to use a digital audio optical cable for sound judging by the machine's specifications:

click here

Pity it isn't straight HDMI as the sound side is up to eight channels of digital sound...:-(

numskull 09:06 02 Aug 2007

The amp is actually a Sony HTSF 1000. I think the problem is because the telly will not accept the HDCP signal (must be an old fashioned DVI connection for attaching a computer).
According to the manual the sound will only go through to the telly but the amp will play surround sound but only by muting the telly speakers.

anskyber 12:55 02 Aug 2007

DVI is ONLY video, it will not carry sound so an HDMI to DVi will not do for you as ßeta has indicated above. You will need to feed sound though separate connectors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?