hdmi 1.3

andrew-196854 11:41 10 Sep 2006

thinking about buying a new lcd tv for my living room, just wanted eveybodys thoughts on if its worth waiting for click here

anskyber 15:02 10 Sep 2006

I think to a degree it depends on how soon you expect to use any form of HDMI on a TV. I have a Sony LCD with HDMI, but I do not use it yet, the rest of my kit does not have HDMI and I do not have Sky.

If you change your TV more often than every 6-8 years there seems little point in waiting for something which may not be available for a while and more importantly may not be in maistream use by the likes of Sky for some time after that.

andrew-196854 15:23 10 Sep 2006

thanks for the reply anskyber,but i will be making use of the hdmi input as they say that hdmi 1.3 will be avalible next year,which if you read my link double the bandwith of 1.2 hdmi,to me if you have already got a sony lcd with hdmi you may not be getting the best out of it?ps also will be replacing my dvd player with hdmi 1.3

anskyber 15:32 10 Sep 2006

Yes, I suppose what I am saying is the capabilty of the connector (which is all it is ) will need to be matched by the ability of the set (or whatever) to take advantage of it and the signal source to send the data to be used.

The way you have described things I would wait for the change, there is not much time to wait.

anskyber 15:36 10 Sep 2006

Have a look here also.. click here

andrew-196854 15:38 10 Sep 2006

thanks for the reply anskyber, i tend to agree i think it will be worth the wait, just a thought i wonder how many people buying new plasma and lcd tvs know about this?

powerless 17:24 10 Sep 2006

A HDMI connection is only for the lastest next-gen DVD's, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. No doubt they'll be other gadgets that can use it eventually...

It's not so much if your LCD/Plasma has HDMI [or two] but HDMI with HDCP.

I think the early HD-DVD/Blu-Rays will not require HDCP but will require HDMI. So make sure your TV has support for HDCP as well and if you have an older 'HD-Ready TV' with HDMI make sure it has support for HDCP as some have not.

anskyber 17:55 10 Sep 2006

To be clear any TV with the HD Ready logo on it (as opposed to s label next to it) MUST have HDCP to comply with the HD ready requirements.

anskyber 17:58 10 Sep 2006
  anskyber 18:06 10 Sep 2006

Link did not work, try this
click here

andrew-196854 18:07 10 Sep 2006

powerless. i thought there was dvd players with hdmi connection now, so as for your statement. A HDMI connection is only for the lastest next-gen DVD's, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. are your refering to the hdmi 1.3 i suppose you could compare it to the switch from agp to pci express on a computer,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone