HD-DVD or Blu-ray?

Matthew Bath 15:12 27 Sep 2005

Hi all

Just a quick, mini-question-of-the-day!

Next year, both Toshiba and Sony (among others) will be launching rival formats to replace DVD. Toshiba is launching HD-DVD (backed by Microsoft, Intel, and some Hollywood studios), while Sony is launching Blu-ray (backed by Dell, Apple, and a whole bunch more).

Have any of you heard of it, and which do you think will win?

Best regards

Matthew Bath
-----------
editor
Digital World
-----------

Rigga 20:36 27 Sep 2005

Not sure there will be a "winner".

Like current DVD - and + standards, that everyone asked the same question of, eventually, and probably from the outset the new HD-DVD, BD players / recorders will support both formats in one machine.

So I would imagine media cost and availability will determine which format becomes more popular.

And long before there is an eventual winner as such that one format is the dominant there will be a new bigger and better format/s come along to take their place.

The only loser will be the media / tech companies themselves, as the average consumer will become confused by multiple formats, and may well decide not to upgrade from standard DVD, which most people seem to find has enough quality to suit them as it stands.

Just my two peneth. R.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:07 27 Sep 2005

I think it will be sometime before dual format kit becomes available. In the meantime it is probably best to wait and see how things pan out over the next year or two, and wait for prices to drop.

Dizzy Bob 17:43 15 Oct 2005

I attended a product briefing from Roxio last week, where they stated that they were developing for both the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats.

If a big player like Roxio can't tell which way to go, what hope for the rest of us?

CurlyWhirly 18:11 15 Oct 2005

I for one will *not* be choosing one format over another in case I make the wrong decision and back a loser and it becomes obsolete.

I personally think that we will see dual format players as what has happened with conventional DVD players.

Another factor that would put me off is whether or not these new DVD players would be backwards compatible (or not) as I have built up quite a DVD collection and probably spent nearly £2000 over the years and I wouldn't be willing to forsake all this just to keep up with the latest technology.

I personally think that they *will* be backwards compatible but am not really sure to be honest.

Confab 13:36 18 Oct 2005

Quote reom Blu-Ray site

Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. Although it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with CDs and DVDs.

CurlyWhirly 16:20 18 Oct 2005

[quote]Although it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD[/quote]

I will just have to make sure that I select a product that *is* backwards compatible when I eventually upgrade.

Thanks for pointing that out to me ;0)

paddy75 17:38 24 Oct 2005

Have a look here. click here

Paddy

Mr Mistoffelees 19:53 24 Oct 2005

How can Sony declare victory with Microsoft in the other camp?

Sans le Sou 21:48 25 Oct 2005

Playstation 3 will be blu-ray but will also play PS1 and PS2 discs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017