HD broadcasts

Sapins 22:20 03 Apr 2006

If I buy an HD ready TV will I automatically be able to watch the channels that are transmitting HD programmes and to which I subscribe?

anskyber 22:49 03 Apr 2006

No. You will need a digibox capable of HD content, such as those soon to be available from Sky. Terrestrial freeview is a long way off HD broadcasting. Satellite is the main short term answer and I think some cable material will be available.

anskyber 22:50 03 Apr 2006

Such as click here

Sapins 08:24 04 Apr 2006

Thanks for that. I don't think I'll be paying out for HD just yet.

Stuartli 19:15 06 Apr 2006

See:

click here

for Freeview HD transmissions news.

anskyber 19:46 06 Apr 2006

Indeed. I am in the first switch off area ie Cumbria for the digital switchover so HD for Freeview on a regular basis is for me a minimum of 2 years away. The BBC have said they will broadcast the World Cup on satellite with people who have a Sky HD box able to view that content. But only for this year as a test for HD generally. The Beeb are I think a long way off daily HD particularly in view of the high bandwidth problems. They could for example have several more "normal" digital channels on terrestrial for one HD. That problem applies equally to the non subscription services like ITV and CH 4, who have no easy way of recouping the high cost of the infrastructure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017