Harry Potter on iTines

Anti_Virus 11:11 09 Mar 2009

Hi. I hope this is the right forum for this question, apologies if it's not.

Basically, my 5 year old MP3 player is on its' last legs, and I'm in the market for a replacement. I was dreading the moment my current one finally does die though, as I have all the Harry potter audiobooks on there, read by Stephen Fry. What's on there are rips from the CD collection, which I borrowed off a friend. She no longer has the CD's though, hence my dread; as I'll no longer be able to listen to them when my current MP3 player snuffs it.

However, I was delighted the other day when I saw that all of them were on the iTunes store (despite their fairly high price). My question is this though: How are the books arranged on the digital iTunes version? On the CD's, the book is brocken up into lots of "around-30-second" segments, rather than chapter by chapter. Originally, I didn't like that, but I have now grown to find it extremely useful, as it means you can pick up where you left off very easily. If the ones on iTunes are arranged in a similar way, I will probably end up buying them - if not, I will try and get hold of the CD's, despite the fact this solution will take a long time.

So, anybody who has the Harry Potter audiobooks purchased from iTunes, I'd love to know. Thanks.

ravingdave 12:15 09 Mar 2009

Why don't you just copy them off of your current MP3 player onto a PC before it finally stops working. Then you can simply copy them back onto a replacement MP3 player in exactly the same format as you are used to?

Anti_Virus 08:46 10 Mar 2009

I only wish it was that easy! I have a Sony NW-HD3 MP3 Player, which has wrapped ALL my music (music I have paid for) in DRM. Needless to say I have trawled absolutely everywhere trying to discover a way of transfering Sony's Atrac format tracks back onto a PC, but as I no longer have the originals, I can't... Dont ask me what that is all about! The worst application of DRM I have ever seen. Oh well.. That's another story.

So that still leaves me with the qestion bout what I should do about my HP audio books. Anyone?

canarieslover 12:20 10 Mar 2009

You could always try eBay. click here

canarieslover 12:25 10 Mar 2009

Last resort for something this desperate is - Headphone socket connected to line in on computer sound card. Capture the incoming signal with something like Audacity. Then you can play about with the files as you like. This will undoubtably result in some degradation of the sound but that may be acceptable for spoken word.

Anti_Virus 12:45 11 Mar 2009

Hi canarieslover

Your suggestions are both things I have considered, and while I may yet take one of those routes, I'm not entirely sure. The main drawback that has stopped me from doing either of those is time - I just don't have the time to buy them on eBay, then rip all of them from CD onto my PC. Nor do I have the time to record them all as I play them. Which is why I was so pleased when I found them on iTunes.

While, yes, they are slightly more expensive than the CD's, I reckon in the long run it would be worth it just for the time saved, and the ease in which I would be able to transfer them onto my future MP3 player. It took me literally weeks to rip every CD last time I did it - not helped by the fact they weren't organized very well by my ripping software, so I had to manually rename every single track, just so they were grouped together on my MP3 Player.

So basically, while your suggestions are very much appreciated, I'm still looking for the answer to my original question: How are the tracks arranged on the iTunes version? Are they done chapter by chapter, or are they done in small segments like the CD's? I need someone who has purchased them, if only one of them, to answer. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place to post such a question?

If someone can answer me, and they aren't in segments, I probablly will end up doing one of canarieslover suggestions.

canarieslover 13:25 11 Mar 2009

Another thing to check is that the itunes versions are not DRM'd as you could then be facing the same problem as you already have should you need to change MP3 player again in the future. Don't forget it is only in the last couple of months that they have started offering music without DRM althouugh at a higher price.

canarieslover 13:52 11 Mar 2009

Just been looking at an iPod Classic manual and it states that it will bookmark when you stop listening so that you can restart from same place. It also supports Next/Previous chapter function if the book has chapter seperators. It does not look likely that you will have the segmentation that you currently have. That is the major advantage of ripping your own as you can set your own defined requirements.

canarieslover 14:12 11 Mar 2009

Found this on another forum -'Sony have released their own ATRAC to MP3 converter - I used it yesterday and it took 17+ hours but converted over 8,500 ATRAC tracks to MP3 with no problems. Cleared the catalogue on SonicStage and set it to scan the drive - picked them all up first time - everything is now MP3.' click here Press Accept to download. Hope it's what you are looking for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?