Hard Disk Drive/DVD Recorder

Dellman 23:02 19 Nov 2007

I am currently with Virgin Media and also have a Toshiba HD (720?) Digital LCD TV with built in Freeview. Was thinking bout getting a V-box, but cost is putting me off.

Any advice as to what I should be looking for in HDD/DVD Recorder in view of my current set-up? Any particular good models?

Dellman 11:48 20 Nov 2007

anyone?

anchor 13:08 20 Nov 2007

I have a Sky digibox, and don`t know about Virgin media. I would guess that the Virgin box has at least one scart out, (hopefully 2), that you feed into your TV.

My Sky box has two; one scart out goes to the TV, the second to the recorder AV-IN. I assume your TV has at least 2 scart inputs.

If so, then more or less any HDD/DVD recorder would do what you require.

Here are two to consider:

click here

I have a Panasonic HDD/DVD, which I find excellent. This is probably the equivalent in the current range:

from Amazon:

click here

full spec:

click here

renard 22:22 21 Nov 2007

I totally agree with Anchor.

Go for the Panasonic DMR-EX77EB. This is an absolutely stunning recorder that receives constantly excellent reviews. It is also easy to operate, and I say this as someone who bought their very first DVD recorder (the EX77) two months ago.

It has a 'big brother', the EX87, only difference being that its hard drive has a larger capacity.

The EX77 comes in a K version (simply meaning it is coloured black), or an S (coloured silver).

Whichever recorder you buy, make absolutely sure you buy one with a HDD. This is a must.

Do a Google on the EX77 (or EX87) and you can find loads of favourable user reviews (eg, at Amazon). Also there are plenty of posts about it at click here and click here

You would not regret buying one of these recorders.

Good luck.

BRYNIT 23:21 21 Nov 2007

If you are watching/recording mainly Virgin media channels you would require the V+box, this would allow you to watch one channel whilst recording up to two Virgin Media channels.

Having a HDD/DVD Recorder would only allow you to record a Virgin media channel whilst watching a free view channel. You would not be able to record a Virgin media channel and what another Virgin media channel.

anchor 10:29 22 Nov 2007

You say your TV has a freeview tuner, so no problem there.

Only you can decide if the facility to watch a Virgin only channel, and at the same time view a second Virgin only channel, is worth the £150 installation fee, and the continuous £5/month subscription, (unless you have the XL package).

Personally, I would prefer the Panasonic for a one-off payment of £210. Using my Sky box, only rarely is there a problem of recording a Sky channel, and wishing to watch another Sky channel at the same time.

Dellman 12:40 22 Nov 2007

Mind you, is the V+ box the only way to get HD quality programming?

Dellman 21:46 29 Nov 2007

click here

Is this any good? On offer in our local Lidl for £79.99!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?