A good scanner, vista compatible, with USB link?

Vistagirl 20:21 03 Mar 2008

Hi,
I'm looking for a good basic scanner - doesn't need to be top of the range, and have been told canon and HP are the best. I need it to be Vista compatible, and am hoping to find one that only needs a USB power connection. (No room for more plugs!) I've read up on reviews which say that the software that comes with canon is not good, and the HPs as far as I can see, seem to have plugs. Any ideas?

100andthirty 20:58 03 Mar 2008

A scanner needs quite a lot of power; powing via USB would be a struggle. I've been fond of Epson scanners and their software

jack 08:22 04 Mar 2008

But USB powered I suspect you will not find, with exception perhaps of the odd little gizmo sold by- an E-tailer that specialize in USB gadgets.

Such an item will not be a 'proper' scanner.

Why not invest in another connector strip?
Either the standard 13amp plug sort, or the special compact version for such applications.

keef66 12:26 06 Mar 2008

I have just bought a Canon usb scanner and it's bloody marvellous. The fact that it's USB and the size of a thin hardback book mean I can just whip it out and plug it in when required, and file it away when not.

I have Windows XP though, but I'm sure it's Vista friendly since it's a new model.

I'll go off and Google to remind me which one it is.

keef66 12:29 06 Mar 2008

I have just bought a Canon usb scanner and it's bloody marvellous. The fact that it's USB and the size of a thin hardback book mean I can just whip it out and plug it in when required, and file it away when not.

I have Windows XP though, but I'm sure it's Vista friendly since it's a new model.

I'll go off and Google to remind me which one it is.

click here

Canon LiDE 600f

or they do a cheaper one for under £40

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?