Getting codecs to work with WMP11

ade.h 20:38 22 Sep 2006

I love WMP11 - no, I've not lost the plot - but I wish it could play Real Media files and streams. I don't particularly like Jet Audio or Media Player Classic, to be honest, so I would rather use a codec pack instead.

However, I have tried the K-Lite pack (standard and full) and the XP Codec pack and even the Real splitter on its own.... no joy! Same old "WMP could not play this file" pop-up.

I use Real Alternative to listen to BBC Radio shows, but it is inconsistent. Saving and playing the stream file usually does the trick on those occasions.

So does anyone know of a good Real codec that will integrate with WMP11, or whether I have just been doing something wrong?

ade.h 17:44 24 Sep 2006

Closing.

ArrGee 01:49 26 Sep 2006

Would like to know how you resolved this.

Cheers
ArrGee

ade.h 14:48 26 Sep 2006

Sorry, ArrGee; I didn't. Just closed it after a lack of replies.

ArrGee 15:19 26 Sep 2006

Have a look at this codec pack:

click here

ArrGee 15:20 26 Sep 2006

This might be even better

click here

ArrGee 15:27 26 Sep 2006

Having looked around regarding my last link, you do not have to download Media Player Classic. When you install and try to run a Real stream in WMP, an error message will appear. Just hit the play button after the error message and it should be ok.

ade.h 15:51 26 Sep 2006

Thanks. I might try the first one.

I mentioned in my post that I use Real Alternative, and that it sometimes doesn't load or buffer files - I think this is more the fault of the BBC's service because it works okay about 70% of the time.

But I forgot to mention that ticking the option to use WMP as the default standalone player never seems to work, and this is the biggest drawback of it. I have installed RA a few times on each of my PCs - updates, etc. - and that option has never had the desired effect. The finger has to point at WMP I think, although it was no different with version 10.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?