Freeview DVD Recorder Which one? How to set up?

ALI8086 13:22 14 May 2007

I have recently bought a Toshiba Digital TV. But am intersted in buying a DVD Recorder with freeview (Hard Drive). My knowledge is small so wondered which one is recomended and how to set it up with my TV. I want to be able to record one digital channel whilst watching another, hence the reason for buying a second freeview. However I have no idea if this is possible. Do I need to aerials?

anchor 16:48 14 May 2007

Yes, it is possible.

I, and a number of others on this forum, have the Panasonic DMR-EX75EB-S, which does exactly that; plus it has a DVD recorder.

You will only need one decent aerial, which you would connect to the aerial-in of the recorder, then connect your TV to the aerial-out socket of the recorder.

If you don`t want a DVD recorder, then the Humax models seem to be well thought of. Something like this:

click here

Stuartli 14:13 17 May 2007

The Humax 9200T (twin tuner) as mentioned by anchor is a superb piece of equipment.

The Panasonic models are also excellent.

My best mate sells a fair number of both makes' products weekly, his personal choice for home use being the Humax...:-)

Stuartli 14:15 17 May 2007

9200T FAQ page:

click here

anchor 16:22 17 May 2007

Stuartli: I am sure the Humax is excellent. However the main factor that made me decide on the more expensive Panasonic was that the Humax cannot record from an external source, (such as a Sky digibox). I want to be able to record non-freeview satellite Sky channels, and also direct from my camcorder. Plus it will burn a DVD.

from the Humax FAQ`s:

Can I record from an external source e.g. VCR, Satellite or Cable? --
No, it is not possible to record from an external source. Only recordings of Freeview channels can be made.

Stuartli 17:12 17 May 2007

With all due respect your thread only states that you want "..to be able to record one digital channel whilst watching another, hence the reason for buying a second freeview.."

You didn't mention external sources...:-)

As I stated earlier, the Panasonic models are excellent.

ICF 20:47 17 May 2007

Stuartli said :-With all due respect your thread only states that you want "..to be able to record one digital channel whilst watching another, hence the reason for buying a second freeview.."

ALI8086 said:-
But am intersted in buying a DVD Recorder with freeview (Hard Drive).

The Humax 9200 (which I have)does not have DVD recorder.

Stuartli 09:11 18 May 2007

You are quite correct - so one of the Panasonics (IIRC the DMR EZ45) would fit the bill.

By one of those coincidences a friend was using one yesterday to transfer to DVD-R disks some of his Grundig V2000 tapes from around 20 years ago...:-)

anchor 11:16 18 May 2007

The original post from ALI8086 said: "he was interested in buying a DVD Recorder with freeview (Hard Drive)".

This implies he wishes to have the capability to burn DVD`s, and record from freeview onto a hard drive. Unfortunately, good though it is, the Humax will not meet his requirements. Neither would the DMR EZ-45, which does not have a hard drive.

There are certainly other makes on the market that will do what he wants, but I would suggest Panasonic would be one of the best. Their range is here:

click here

oldbeefer2 14:06 18 May 2007

If you only want to record and not burn, then a hard disc twin tuner recorder will fit the bill. Sharp do one which is £140 from Empire Direct and can record 80 hrs of TV progs.

Stuartli 14:21 18 May 2007

>>Neither would the DMR EZ-45, which does not have a hard drive.>>

I did say "IIRC"..:-)

My best mate sells various Panasonic models at his shop, so I can't always recall what each variation's features are to the letter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?