Freeview digital tv and recording

digitv 19:16 21 Feb 2009

Hi all - pls can anyone help with this - your advice would be great.
I have a digital tv with freeview built in. Connected to this is a VCR (archaic i know!!)and DVD player.
1 scart socket in TV so DVD in there and VCR connected via red/white/yellow cables.
Aerial goes into VCR then VCR to TV.
Therefore cannot record freeview stations cos aerial goes to VCR 1st - digital tuner within TV ie is last.
Any ideas how to change this? Dont really wanna buy digibox as this is why I bought TV with freeview inbuilt.
Any help would be much apprecaited thx - Pete

canarieslover 19:31 21 Feb 2009

I don't think you have any alternative to buying a digibox with your setup. I don't believe you can get the signal out of the TV tuner to the recorder.

john bunyan 19:49 21 Feb 2009

I think you could get a 2 Scart plug - 1 input from DVD, second from VCR - if VCR has 2 Scarts plug this into the input one, Then you could record Freeview from TV but only the programme you are viewing. Only other way is to either get a digibox for the VCR or bite the bullet and get a DVD recorder with Freeview built in!

digitv 21:08 21 Feb 2009

Thx so much canarieslover and john for your help - anyone else any ideas

Kevscar1 07:37 22 Feb 2009

If the VCR has 2 scart sockets connect 1 to TV then connect DVD to VCR with the other. If not you can buy scart leads with a 4 connector block. I have one never used. Stick VCR and DVD into this.

Kevscar1 07:37 22 Feb 2009

If the VCR has 2 scart sockets connect 1 to TV then connect DVD to VCR with the other. If not you can buy scart leads with a 4 connector block. I have one never used. Stick VCR and DVD into this.

BRYNIT 09:32 22 Feb 2009

If you want to record one Chanel and watch another you will require a freeview box as you will only be able to record the program showing on your TV.

digitv 17:34 22 Feb 2009

thx all - working thru these 1 by 1

maco2078 18:21 25 Feb 2009

Hi, My problem is similiar.

I did have a Goodmans DTR which conked out in under a year. Unfortunately, I could not find my receipt but did have proof of purchase on my bank statement.

I wrote to the manager of the shop where I purchased it and they have not had the decncy to reply.

So a hundred quid down the drain.

I then purchased a Tecknika with inbuilt Freeview. It would not really fit together as I now know a digital tuner would not.

Someone advised buying a new Freeview box (gave my old Digibox to my ex for doing a job) and said I can record from the seconm Freeview box to the Video.

All I would like to know is would it be best to acquire one with one scart or two?

I suppose 2 would be the best option as eventually I could get another dvd player.

But as a novice any help would help.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?