Freeview boxes.

Andsome 14:47 16 Sep 2006

We have come to the conclusion that at least 99% of the TV that we watch is available on Freeview, and we are wasting our mony paying a Sky subscription. I have been looking at Freeview boxes, but there is a hell of a price range. I have decided that I would like a hard drive to record one programme while we watch another. If it is not going to cost the earth, I would also consider a box that will produce DVD's as well as having it's own hard drive, so that I can save stuff that I may want to keep. Any recommendations will be gratefully received.

ade.h 15:44 16 Sep 2006

As you already have a dish and a box, why don't you save the cost of a new box by swapping to Freesat? You get more channels than Freeview as well.

ade.h 15:44 16 Sep 2006

Forgot to add: then get a DVD-R/HDD recorder or whatever you want.

Andsome 15:59 16 Sep 2006

I did not know about this. I have just spoken to Sky and they told me that there would be a one off fee of £10 for the card. I will be giving this a lot of thought over the weekend. Thanks for the advice.

ade.h 16:12 16 Sep 2006

No problem. It's very good - we have had it for almost two years since its original launch.

jimv7 17:12 16 Sep 2006

I have just bought this click here

and have access to most of the freeview channels + the option of burning to dvd which is included in the software.

Andsome 07:24 17 Sep 2006

Many thanks for the advice. I have decided for the present to go with the Freesat suggestion. I will buy a separate DVD recorder at a later date with the money saved. When I contacted Sky again to cancel the subscription, I was told that there was not a one of £10 fee. Yet another case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing.

rodriguez 15:35 17 Sep 2006

There shouldn't be a £10 fee as you already have the card. Sky will just take off all the subscription channels in the same way as when you call to alter your package. The plus side of this is if you decide to have some more channels put back on the future, you can phone and Sky will add them back. They will probably say it will take between 2 mins and 2 hours to switch it over but it normally only takes a few mins.

pj123 14:05 18 Sep 2006

I have a "Free to Air" motorised multi satellite system. No Sky and No subscription at all.

On the Astra 2 satellite I can get almost all of the Freeview channels. I do have a Freeview box as well and a DVD recorder. Apart from the actual purchase layout it is costing me nothing to view something like 4000 TV channels and maybe listen to around 300 radio channels for nothing.

Stuartli 15:02 21 Sep 2006

£10 is a good price from Sky for Freestat as it's normally a £150 one-off payment for dish and card or £25 if you already have a Sky box, even with no subscription.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?