freetalk internet phone

globo 19:37 28 Feb 2006

The best replacement phone service using VoIP is freetalk.

I read about freetalk in another topic on the site, about the new Tesco internet phone. There's a danger that all voice over broadband services are lumped together - they're not all the same beast. If you want voice calling through your pc / a USB phone, you may as well download one of the many free softwares from the web. Where retailed, these products are just a USB phone dressed up as an internet phone service.

There are few what I would call "pure VoIP" services - BT broadband voice, Vonage and freetalk. Until someone cracks free VoIP via ethernet (with no pc switched on), your best bet for cheaper phone calls is one of these VoIP providers.

Maximum Setting 22:53 28 Feb 2006

How is freetalk the best? Is this your view from using it vs other Voice OverIP services?

Stuartli 16:02 01 Mar 2006

To make such a definitive statement you have to have the evidence to prove it.

I could say a Lada Riva is the finest car you could ever buy based on your logic...:-)

globo 13:41 02 Mar 2006

I'm basing my view on 3 things: value, convenience (i.e. it's phone to phone) and call quality ... see, that's where your Lada Riva is going to let you down! For a comparison of freetalk vs all the other key VoIP providers, including Skype, Vonage, Tesco internet phone etc, check out:
click here
I'm basing my opinion on personal experience (I've used most of these services). Give it a go and tell me what you think!

Carbonara 22:34 02 Mar 2006

Not entirely FREE is it £79.99 a year or £6.99 a month. I'll stick with Tesco, two phones for £30 including 2x£5 call time. One phone in UK one in Canada = free calls each way.

Stuartli 23:47 02 Mar 2006

>>that's where your Lada Riva is going to let you down!>>

But that's where you are wrong. I used to share transport with a Lada Riva owner who went all over the UK in his Russian built conveyance and it never let him down.

It was the same in Russia itself. The cars were built to withstand the harsh climate - only the Western levels of comfort and quality were missing.

Same with the Skoda Estelles etc he used to own...:-)

So your Freetalk opinion has to be based on fact - which you seem to partially deliver - rather than conjecture.

globo 12:10 03 Mar 2006

Carbonara, so instead of making your calls via cables under the ocean, you're now using a USB VoIP service that sounds like talking under water! Why not buy yourself a set of walkie-talkies, or 2 cans and a piece of string!

Carbonara 15:32 03 Mar 2006

Your comment is as insulting as it is uniformed. I do believe you have never used voip if you think it sounds like talking underwater. The calls I make via Tesco Internetphone are clearer than some local calls.

globo 18:48 03 Mar 2006

Carbonara,

Sorry - I didn't mean to cause offence. Look, I agree, VoIP can be great.

Like I said, I'm on the hunt for value, quality and convenience. freetalk is my preferred internet phone service, but it's a personal thing (as well as a preference shared by many others - take a look at the above webuser review link, or the recommendations in Computer Seller, PC Pro, Computer Buyer etc).

I've tried Tesco internet phone. In fact, I first tried it in Tesco's Slough telecoms store, where they have 2 demo phones+pcs. There, I had to reboot both their pcs (and the phone crashed one of the pcs 3 times). I had difficulty for the other phone to register me calling it; the phone I got working dropped calls I made to an external mobile.

If you want detail of a similar experience, read a good blog at click here. This user reports calls that are a bit tinny (it could be the handset). He also reports similar issues to those I had with dial-tone and call pick-up from one Tesco phone to another (it could be just tricky set-up issues).

It's early days and Tesco's entry into VoIP is good news for all VoIP providers, as it will contribute to raising awareness of VoIP and the benefits and savings to be had.

Final word? :-) ... click here

Carbonara 21:35 03 Mar 2006

Can't say I've experienced any such problems and Call Diversion works perfectly, even when the computer is off.

DieSse 01:21 04 Mar 2006

Until someone cracks free VoIP via ethernet (with no pc switched on)

Cracked here click here

My regular phone system uses exactly this technology (though a proprietary system provided by my ISP) - as I have no telephone lines to where I live. Broadband via wireless and VoIP directly into the ethernet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires