Freesat/SKY Query x2

The Potter 18:39 16 Jun 2008

I read the other post on switching sky to freesat but I'm still a bit confused because of the HD stuff mentioned in that.

Basics of what I want:
Satilite as TV reception is so poor;
Standard channels 1-4, no hd or anthing flash;
BBCi so I can choose which courts I watch at wimbledon!

I've always thought freesat was the answer but I've heard the software is not up to standard at present. If so, could I get very basic sky installed with no monthly fees (I don't want all those extra stations!)

My second query:

What would I need to access American tv channels which show poker (ESPN is one)or is this not possible? My friend particularly wants to see the world series and I don't know if SKY or any UK channels show it.

Any uncomplicated thoughts on the above would be much appreciated.

TP

tasslehoff burrfoot 19:52 16 Jun 2008

Sky "pay once watch forever"

One off £75 payment gets you necessary equipment, installation and, I think, 2 mixes for 6 months.

At the end of the 6 months you can cancel and receive the free channels. (cancellation is necesaary, otherwise the contract rolls over)

Can't help with the poker thing, sorry

The Potter 20:53 16 Jun 2008

Thank you! That's a nice clear answer for that one and cheaper than expected although I know it would cost us a bit more to put the dish on the chimney.

oldbeefer2 10:36 17 Jun 2008

Think my daughter paid Sky a one-off £150 for dish, box and fitting - gives all the freeview channels.

JJCUK 19:12 17 Jun 2008

Software for freesat is fine ,I have a Humax receiver swapped out my sky box for it, could not be simpler

McGill01 02:12 14 Jul 2008

getting a dish installed on your chimney would not cost you anymore, all you need to do is mention it when you are booking the install with sky and they will send out a special hieghts team, this is free of charge the only difference in the install is the engineers that do installs above 2nd floors are insured to do so, :) hope this helps, any other queries post and i will answer, i work for sky installations :)

Freesat-Box 12:16 18 Jul 2008

If you want to go down the no subscription route Freesat has got to be the best option, and with more and more people investing in the techology, who knows what channels they are going to offer!

As far as I know, the Poker is mostly shown on the subscription sports channels(such as ESPN) which you will have to pay Sky/Virgin Media for.

Gerald Morgan
click here

Mr Mistoffelees 19:25 18 Jul 2008

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like you are using your posting for advertising purposes.

dms_05 10:53 19 Jul 2008

The cheapest route into 'freesat' is the Sky £75 offer available in almost any supermarket or TV retailer. It also gives you some free Sky TV for a limited period of time. You get proven equipment installed by people who've installed millions of satellite systems. If you decide to stay with Sky, on a minimum cost package, you will also get free Broadband and free Telephone calls. In addition going the Sky route allows you to opt in and out of the payTV platform. The BBC/ITV freesat is a dead end route, no other possiblities once you've spent your money and it costs more than the Sky route into satellite TV.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?