Freesat

karmgord 19:36 25 Aug 2009

If i buy a freesat box and substitute it for the skybox will the digital sky satellite dish feed the correct signal to tune in the stations on the freesat box?

tigertop2 19:53 25 Aug 2009

Yes the sat dish will get you Freesat on a tuner like Humax. Go onto the Humax site and you may find some good offers for re conditioned Foxsat tuners . I did and was very happy with what I purchased

Stuartli 22:53 25 Aug 2009

Yes, both Sky and Freesat use the same satellite.

Because the expression Sky dish has become common parlance it tends to be forgotten that a satellite dish is just that - a dish.

dms_05 09:08 26 Aug 2009

Why even swop the box. Any Sky Digi box will allow you access to all the Standard Definition channels. Just cancel the Sky subscription and keep the box (and this will give you the additional serious advantage of access to FTV stations - that is stations that are encrypted but free to watch provided you have a Sky box and viewing card even if you've cancelled your subscription).

Don't be fooled by Freesat claims on HD TV. They have almost no content to watch and the Freesat community are expressing great anger at how little is provided (see the comments at the end of this link) click here

Stuartli 09:38 26 Aug 2009

>>..that are encrypted but free to watch..>>

If they are free to watch, why should they be encrypted?

Sky's free to view channels are hardly the stuff of TV viewing dreams...:-)

click here

dms_05 15:55 27 Aug 2009

But as Sky shows all the Freesat channels as well as some additional FTV channels it's a more comprehensive platform. There are also masses of older Sky boxes lying around after people have upgraded to Sky+ or Sky+ HD. So it's a cheap source of proven equipment.

Some channels are FTV (ie encrypted but free to view) because they are on wide beam satellite transponders and they need to restrict viewing to the UK.

An example of FTV is C4 HD which is free but you need a valid Sky Card (but not a valid Sky subscription) to watch. So it's not available on Freesat HD but is available on Sky Freesat HD.

Stuartli 17:58 27 Aug 2009

Not according to these two lineups:

click here

click here

Quickbeam 11:00 29 Aug 2009

Quickbeam 11:03 29 Aug 2009

Sky seriously need to consider allowing pay as you watch access to there content. The only thing I would like to have paid for this year was The Ashes, and I wont pay for a premium sports access just for one sport.

Quickbeam 11:04 29 Aug 2009

their...

jack 12:22 29 Aug 2009

Satellite channels and dishes and things ,whilst having my 'Twelveses'
This is because a recent ALDI post were offering dishes and boxes for £40 or so and our B&Q Warehouse has piles of thwm for a similar price.
So I thought what exactly do these things do- compared with Freestat and SKY free?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?