Is Epson dx4200 a good buy?

Dundonian 21:09 04 Jan 2006

Went to PCWorld today thinking I'd pick up an HP 1610 multifunction pinter copier, but on arrival saw a stack of Epson DX4200s claiming to be reduced from something like £149 to £79 I think it was.

Left without a purchace as I am wondering if this is a better buy than the HP.

Any advice or experience would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Alistair

DieSse 14:53 05 Jan 2006

I tried to post last night - but my link went down - after I'd typed in a response :-(((

I've recently broke the habit of always buying HP by getting my son a DX3800. Generally it seems OK but -

On all the epsons I've seen, draft printing is so faint it's useless. On HPs draft is absulutely fine (I use it all the time on my elderly HP940). On newer HPs, which also have fast Draft - this is fine too for text - and very, very fast.

This means Epsons - whilst they have cheaper ink cartridges, use ink faster - so the saving is not what it seems at first glance.

Also HPs have a new print head in every cartridge - this makes them more expensive - but of course the head never deteriorates, and you can never need to write of an HP because of a blocked head.

Also Epsons are forever running cleaning cycles to keep the heads unblocked. I don't thonk I've ever done this on my printer - and it doesn't do it automatically itself, like an Epson - which of course is just a waste of ink.

Dundonian 17:59 05 Jan 2006

Appreciate your thoughts. I think, on balance, I'm probably better going for the HP - which has got really good reviews.

Alistair

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?