Entertainment on a narrowboat

Tycho 11:59 10 Sep 2007

Have just retired and doing up an old and tatty boat I am thinking bout our long cruise next year. Eight months on the English canals is planned.

Narrowboats have limited space so I have in my thoughts a laptop to provide all communications and entertainment. Mobile phone for data, laptop to provide internet services including radio, mp3 playing, video via DVD. It would be nice to get TV too but I cannot imagine that I will get data transfer rates sufficiently high with a mobile connection.

Am I being over optimistic? It would be nice to get medium fi music, I would guess that hi-fi is too much to expect.

Would I need external amplification for the sound? Is the sound card in a laptop of sufficiently high quality? Am I being unwise with all the eggs in one basket? What other questions should I be asking?

I look forward to hearing your ideas.

T

A-Nonymous 13:44 10 Sep 2007

I have a narrowboat, and laptops on narrowboats does work. If you get a USB TV aerial you can do TV on the laptop. If you want internet, you will either need broadband at a marina or use internet on your phone, whether it be GPRS or 3G.

Be aware that you will need some sort of inverter for your boat to charge the laptop.

A-Nonymous 13:46 10 Sep 2007

Oh and for your question about amplification, all you need is some decent speakers and you should be OK. As long as you have a decent sound card youll be fine.

Be aware that laptop speakers are usually poor.

holme 15:52 10 Sep 2007

And please, please, please, lots of soundproofing to contain the sound. Otherwise your enjoyment = others' ruined holidays on the English canals (regrettably, been there, done that, 2006, never again).

A-Nonymous 13:32 11 Sep 2007

homlme wrote:
"And please, please, please, lots of soundproofing to contain the sound. Otherwise your enjoyment = others' ruined holidays on the English canals (regrettably, been there, done that, 2006, never again)."

Lol!

Tycho 16:07 11 Sep 2007

A-nonymous

Thank you for the warning. I am sufficiently aged to remember the days of the first transistor radios. Everywhere you went you were assaulted by Billy Fury and Elvis. It was really objectionable. I hope that I am sufficiently aware of differing tastes not to aflict the ears of others with my particular likes.

T

amonra 17:13 11 Sep 2007

Maplins have got a nice portable Satellite receiver for around £70, should satisfy most of your needs.

Tycho 21:13 11 Sep 2007

A-nonymous wrote:

"As long as you have a decent sound card youll be fine."

What constitutes a decent sound card in a laptop? Can I choose?

T

A-Nonymous 13:48 14 Sep 2007

Well yes that is a point! In laptops you cant really change sound cards. Any laptop from Dell/Mesh/etc (any major laptop make) should have a decent sound card.

Do you know what laptop you may be getting?

Tycho 20:51 14 Sep 2007

A-Nonymous wrote:

"Do you know what laptop you may be getting?"

One which is as cheap as I can get away with and do the tasks required reliably. Battery life is not important. I will have mains from a modified sign wave inverter (Sterling 1800W) and it can be used plugged in as much as is consistent with good battery care.

T

fishface113 21:35 15 Sep 2007

Most modern laptops have intelligent battery control which will always charge and discharge the cells when on mains. Just plug it in and leave on!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017