DVI-I to HDMI cable?

SteevWatson 14:10 10 Oct 2006

Hi
I would like to connect my pc to my TV which as an HDMI connector. The graphics card I'm using as an ASUS EN7300GT SILENT. It can be found at this website.

click here

Am I right in thinking I would need a cable with a DVI-I connector and one end and a HDMI at the other? If so can any of you recommend a place to buy a cable.

The other option I have is to use S-Video. What would the difference in quality be if I were to use that instead of HDMI?

Thanks Steve

De Marcus™ 17:22 10 Oct 2006

click here for cables.

As for the difference between s-video and hdmi, depends on the screen size but in most cases HDMI will be vastly better.

You should be aware that neither s-video and dvi do not carry audio so a seperate connection for that will be required if needed.

De Marcus™ 20:03 10 Oct 2006

You should be aware that neither s-video or dvi carry audio so a seperate connection for that will be required if needed.

And in addition, any DVI to HDMI cable that claims to carry audio, simply can't. The reason a few of them describe it as so (ebuyer included) is that whilst DVI can't carry audio, HDMI can.

SteevWatson 23:31 10 Oct 2006

thanks De Marcus™. that clears things up nicely. I had a feeling I'd need another audio lead but that's fine i think i have one of them somewhere.

Thanks
Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017