DVD recorders??

bythor 22:27 28 Jan 2008

Hi folks. I want to record something that's on Bravo (on Sky Digital) and put it onto DVD. I need then to buy myself a DVD recorder. I have a 40" TFT screen with HDMI ports. I thought it was just a case of finding a DVD recorder with HDMI, but among the plethora I'm finding the warnings "analogue tuner, not compatible with digital signals". Am I correct in thinking this is irrelevant as I'm copying direct from my Sky box (or screen) to the DVD recorder, and the analogue tuner won't come into play? Or am I missing something here?
Lastly, any pointers on a decent machine that I won't need a buckert load of money for?

dms05 13:36 29 Jan 2008

Quite correct. You will connect to the Sky box with a SCART lead and record from that Source.

I've owned a couple of DVD and DVD/HDD recorders and have had problems with DVD's playing on machines other than those they were recorded on. Everyone claims Finalising a DVD will make it compatible with other DVD machines. That is not always my experience!

If you want something cheap and cheerful ASDA are selling a DVD/HDD Recorder for under £80 (incl 80GB HDD). I generally record to HDD and anything I want to archive then goes onto DVD.

anchor 19:52 29 Jan 2008

Check that any recorder you buy has an AV-scart in socket. Most, but NOT all do.

Without it, you cannot record from the Sky digibox.

bythor 20:46 29 Jan 2008

thanks for your input folks. I should have said it's a Sky+ box I have, don't know if that makes any difference. I know that will record to it's hard disk, but I want to burn to DVD. Anyway, is there any advantage to taking the DVD recorder from the HDMI socket on the TV? Will it still work?

100andthirty 20:54 29 Jan 2008

The HDMI socket on the TV is almost certainly an Input, not an output

bythor 21:05 29 Jan 2008

Aha, well there you go I presumed the HDMI was bidirectional - good thing I asked here! So, if there is a DVD recorder with an HDMI port what's it used for? Maybe I'm looking too far into this. All I want is to know the best (and best value) way to record Bravo onto DVD. I guess I thought HDMI was a route, but if not so be it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?