DVD Recorder wont recognise discs

magnus35 19:02 12 Jan 2008

DVD recorder model -

CROWN CDVDRW 300

Format DVD+/R/RW

Machine is about 2 years old .

Takes ages to respond to presses of remote .

Often it fails to play even shop bought dvds , stating 'error disc' . Occasionaly will play after several attempts , or on a different day .

After recording to fresh blank dvd , the disc physically looks as though there is something on it but player reads it as blank then refuses to record anything onto it or finalise . With DVDRW disc it will say that the 'burnt' disc is blank but if attempt is made to record further a message appears saying that it is not a recognised format and do I wish to erase the disc in order to record on it ?

Have tried resetting to factory settings and retuning to no avail .

Can anybody suggest what might be wrong , or is it ready for the bin ?

silverous 23:43 12 Jan 2008

Sounds like ready for bin to me.

silverous 23:43 12 Jan 2008

Sounds like ready for bin to me.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:58 13 Jan 2008

Run a lens cleaner through it.

jack 17:47 13 Jan 2008

Does seem to be a candidate for the bin
The alleged RW capability aside- these items seldom in my experience work anywhere except on the machine the made it.
I notice also that you are aware of Finalizing to get any CD to play on any other kit.

magnus35 23:32 13 Jan 2008

Thanks for the responses .

Unfortunately , lens cleaning didn't make any difference .

Time for a new machine I think , but I'll give it some more thought as recordings from the telly are spoilt by the logos which seem to be taking up more and more space on screen .

silverous 10:19 14 Jan 2008

Logos from telly spoiling recordings?
Now I'm confused.... surely the logos (if you mean the broadcaster ones) are on any recordings?!

magnus35 00:21 16 Jan 2008

I don't mean that the logos have any effect on recording quality , just that they greatly interfere with viewing pleasure . BBC1 , BBC2 , ITV1 and CH4 are logo free at the moment but even they can spoil things by interrupting the final moments of programmes to announce what's on next . It seems to me that they are doing their bit to boost DVD sales to those who prefer a 'clean' copy of a programme or film .

jack 10:32 16 Jan 2008

Surely Channel ID is only evident on digital channels.
I do not know of any way of removing them- it seems to the an broadcasting requirement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?