DVD into monitor?

Martin12 18:39 30 Oct 2009

A friend of mine does not have a TV, but likes to watch DVD's.

If he gets a PCmonitor with an HDMI input and connects it to a DVD player will that work?

karmgord 21:03 30 Oct 2009

what about the sound?

Martin12 13:13 31 Oct 2009

Speakers via the audio outputs on the DVD player?

Martin12 13:18 31 Oct 2009

Speakers via the audio outputs on the DVD player?

natdoor 13:08 01 Nov 2009

HDMI carries sound as well as video.

ambra4 05:13 16 Nov 2009

“If he gets a PC monitor with an HDMI input and connects it to a DVD player will that work?”

Yes, the video from the DVD player will be displayed

“What about the sound?”

“Speakers via the audio outputs on the DVD player?”

Yes, this would also work providing it is connected to an amplified audio system

Natdoor

“HDMI carries sound as well as video”

Yes, to a HDMI HD TV but not to a HDMI PC monitor you need to connect the audio separate

to a amplified audio system as monitor will only show the video signal from the HDMI cable

natdoor 09:48 16 Nov 2009

It is my understanding that at least some HDMI monitors with built-in speakersare able to produce audio via HDMI. It would seem reasonable that this should be the case for all such monitors.

ambra4 03:24 18 Nov 2009

natdoor

Yes, it would if the monitor has an amplified audio system build in, most monitors with speakers

do not have a amplified audio system just two speakers connected to a audio jack.

Connecting the audio jack to the sound card will not work, as the sound card output is just a low

power audio signal that is why you have to use amplified speakers also the speakers on monitors

are so small it like listening to a cheap portable radio

I have speakers on my present LCD monitor which I have never used as the sound is terrible

very poor quality and lack bass

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017