Digital TV switchover good or bad

morris948 19:59 06 Oct 2007

In the near future we are forced to change over from analogue tv to digital tv.
Well, what is going to happen to all the portable TV's that have loop aerials? the digital signal needs to be strong to get a decent picture.
And now we have to buy a freeview box for every set, and consume more power than before, and have to find more 13 amp sockets to plug them in to.

I wonder also how many extra aerials will have to be added to the roof, because if you have several TV's in the house, there is a limit to how much signal can be extracted from one aeriel before the digital picture breaks up.
At least with analogue a slightly grainy picture is watchable in a poor reception area, but with digital its all or nothing.

What are your views?

rdave13 20:13 06 Oct 2007

It's inevitable that digital takes over, however, how we will receive the transmissions will, I think, change. The ariels will go eventually and only dish receivers will be used. Freeview via ariels for the older technology will be phased out and newer receiving dishes will take over.

DieSse 21:04 06 Oct 2007

"if you have several TV's in the house, there is a limit to how much signal can be extracted from one aeriel before the digital picture breaks up."

No - you just have to use a good quality masthead amplifier and distribution system.

Stuartli 21:06 06 Oct 2007

The digital signals after the changeover will be very much stronger than currently.

Arnie 11:25 07 Oct 2007

Stuartli is correct.

The reason why most digital transmitters are running below their ERPs, is because of possible interference to the analogue TV signals.

The proposed complete changeover is in 2011.
My Anglia region’s Sandy Heath being one of the laggards here.

Most standard aerials, providing that they are still in the same range group of the digital transmissions, should work ok. At the moment many of my neighbours’ aerials seem to be working well on set top boxes.

It's obvious that the existing aerial and its peripheral components, (coax cable, correctly soldered coax plugs and wall plate sockets etc.) should be in good condition.
If your aerial and cable are in need of replacement, now is the time to have it done before the rush and no doubt increased installation boosted costs.

morris948 11:31 07 Oct 2007

OK, so what happens with the portable TV's, we cant take a dish with you on your caravan holiday.

the problem is why is the government in such a hurry to turn off the analogue signal, if they are going to implement digital, then they should keep the analogue signal on until most of the old TV's are obsolete.

Also, what will happen to Video recorders, will you still be able play back your video tapes via the scart lead? assuming these will stil be fitted to new digital sets.

oresome 11:36 07 Oct 2007

I think the surprise for many after changeover will be that the VCR no longer receives it's own signal.

Arnie 11:55 07 Oct 2007

Quite true and also many DVD recorders.
However, STBs are now dirt cheap and failing that, one's existing VCR recordings will still be viewable.

Arnie 12:13 07 Oct 2007

"the problem is why is the government in such a hurry to turn off the analogue signal, if they are going to implement digital, then they should keep the analogue signal on until most of the old TV's are obsolete."

Firstly:

Any analogue TV with a scart socket will run off a STB without rescanning for the TV's RF signal.
In the case of a caravan installation; it will be necessary to use a small wideband portable aerial.
Along with the boosted digital signal, this should allow good reception within line-of-site from the local transmitter.

Secondly:

It is very costly to use and maintain two systems.
Also, when all the analogue transmitters are turn off the digital transmitters' power will be boosted to give a much improved nationwide reception.

Pamy 13:24 07 Oct 2007

hey, this is progres, do you want to stay in the dark ages forever

dms05 16:00 07 Oct 2007

I'm surprised people still think we are rushing to Digital TV when the changeover schedule has been around for many years. I converted my 80+ year old parents to Freeview years ago - they enjoyed the added quality and added choice digital transmission brings.

Today you can buy a STB for under £20 and even a twin tuner 80Gb HDD Freeview box for under £100. That's not expensive and the switch to digital is welcomed by the vast majority.

Of course FM radio became available when I was a very young man and offered every possible advantage over AM radio but AM still survives because no one wants their bandwidth. However higher up the spectrum analogue TV is a very inefficient user of it's current bandwidth and much better use can be obtained for alternatives - like HD TV.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?