Digital TV recording - SKy+

EFC1878 21:14 16 Dec 2007

I am on the verge of splashing out on a digital TV and am thinking about the recording facilities.

I understand that a normal dvd recorder can only record the digital channel that you are watching is that correct? Also I have heard that a dual recording / digital DVD recorder are very expensive.

Given that and the fact that I currently am not supposed to get freeview as I am not in a postcode area (we can get it but it is flakky) I think of getting a sky+ box as this will counter both the flakiness issue witoohut the need to change aerial and also rovide the recording capabiity is that the case.

PS/ I have seen an offer for a Sky+ box for £29 plus £30 installation

Tim1964 22:22 16 Dec 2007

There are now PVRs with 2 tuners for not much more than a single tuner model, allowing you to record one channel while watching another or (as with Sky+ as well) record 2 channels and watch something pre-recorded at the same time.

The plus side of Sky+ is the integration with the EPG for recording and series linking and you do get more channels than Freeview.

The downside to Sky is it will be a min cost of £16/month whereas Freeview is of course free. Once you have upgraded your aerial though.

Cymro. 10:32 17 Dec 2007

I have been thinking much along the same lines as you and am favoring the Sky+ system, but please tell me where you can get Sky+ for £29 + £30 installation?

anskyber 19:19 17 Dec 2007

Since August I moved from Freeview to Sky.

Sky+ is simplicity itself with a massive 160GB of recording capacity and yes, it has dual tuners for recording two or watching one and recording another channel.

EFC1878 19:31 17 Dec 2007

I think that you have helped me make my mind up to get Sky+

The only question now is to decide what package i.e basic or premium TV and also whether to switch from BT to sky for both calls and broadband. Decisions, decisions.

Cymro - The offer I saw for Sky+ at £29 = £30 installation was on the highstreet at Currys!

Cymro. 12:40 18 Dec 2007

Thanks for that, I will check it out.

DAVE42KENT 20:20 19 Dec 2007

I HAVE A LG DVD RECORDER, AND I WANT TO RECORD FROM MY FREEVIEW BOX, IS THERE ANY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE, CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE..

MCE2K5 00:17 20 Dec 2007

Please Click on "Start New Subject" at the TOP.

When you have done that I will answer your Question.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?