Digital Switch Over and HD

dms_05 08:39 19 Aug 2009

I've just been reading about the DSO for my area (due 2/12/09). It seems ITV will be broadcasting terrestrial HD from that date on BBC Multiplex B. However no receiving equipment will be available until sometime afterwards (and who will risk buying early generation one STB's). So it seems ITV HD will continue to be broadcast but in oblivion.

As I understand it ITV HD is still not easily available to the vast majority of HD equipped viewers (those with Sky HD) but only to the relative few who have Freesat HD and absolutely no one will be able to watch the Freeview HD broadcasts as no receivers are available. At least ITV won't get complaints about the dreadfully variable quality of their ITV HD service.

oresome 09:20 19 Aug 2009

The roll out of freeview HD doesn't seem to have been well thought out. You'd expect the receiving equipment to be available prior to the broadcasting.

From what I read, there isn't much HD content on Freesat as yet, so the buying public aren't being well served by the broadcasters unless they go down the Sky route.

dms_05 09:38 19 Aug 2009

Agreed. After the initial euphoria over Freesat it's interesting to see the fall off in postings on Freesat forums and the oft expressed opinion 'I feel let down by the low level of HD content'.

At least on Sky you have a variety of 20+ HD channels who broadcast a majority of native HD content.

I still recommend people to look at C4 HD which is the medium future of TV - some true HD, some upscaled material, some SD. After all the back library of SD content is massive and will be still shown in 10 years time.

Finally HD is OK. It's better than ITV1 SD and BBC1/2 SD but not so much that it makes the lower definition unwatchable. Also if you get the best of SD on FIVE it's so much better than that offered by BBC/ITV SD. I wonder why the old system was so under exploited when you could have improve the picture quality within the existing standard by simply using higher bit rates for transmission of better quality originals.

Stuartli 09:57 19 Aug 2009

See:

click here

I was looking forward to Freeview HD broadcasts..:-(

However, hopefully my Twinhan PCI Freeview TV card, which is HD compatible, will save the day.

dms_05 10:28 19 Aug 2009

Nice link Stuartli. As the article says 'first generation STB's won't have all the features of later STB's' So it might be a year or more before full spec Freeview HD STB's (and PVR's) become available.

Glad I use satellite!

Stuartli 16:10 20 Aug 2009
  dms_05 13:41 21 Aug 2009

Beta - and the little bit of ITV HD seems to be football and much of that isn't in HD.

Stuartli 13:43 21 Aug 2009

Perhaps HD isn't as available as much in countries from which some games are transmitted by ITV.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?