A Digital Photographer's Dream Device

Carbonara 11:14 20 Feb 2006

Belkin have a little gizmo called USB Anywhere. This is a little box (battery or mains powered) that allows for the transfer of data/files between two devices without a computer.

With one of these and a card reader and a portable storage device you could take pictures for weeks on end without going near a comp/laptop or CyberCafe.

Forum Editor 13:15 20 Feb 2006

and I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

anchor 17:04 20 Feb 2006

For those of you, (like me), who may be curious about it; here is the Belkin site for their "USB Anywhere".

click here

hssutton 17:19 20 Feb 2006

Ok, I seem to be missing something here.

There are numerous portable hard drives on the market with inbuilt cardreaders. On my recent trip to Kenya I carried a pocket sized 20Gb hard drive with inbuilt card reader, how would such as the Belkin been of value to me?

Carbonara 17:23 20 Feb 2006

Probably wouldn't be any use to you.

jack 19:52 20 Feb 2006

When I first read the blurb I thought Oh yeeess.
But then I thought a portable hard drive -USB -Will the little gadget power that as well?
Then I thought but I would need to buy such a drive
a 2.5 inch one perhaps - or drive and caddy - More expense- Hmmm thimgs aint never that simple, are they.

Carbonara 20:03 20 Feb 2006

Yep, the gizmo will power both devices.Probably better to use the mains adapter if using a power hungry receiving device!

ton 01:20 21 Feb 2006

As far as digital photography is concerned, I don't see the point of this gadget.

As you can now buy a 1 gigabyte memory card for about £35, surely it would be cheaper and more convenient to just buy another memory card or two.

This device might have been useful a few years ago when memory cards were small in capacity and very expensive.

jack 09:13 21 Feb 2006

Extra Memory cards are my choice and not the big capacity ones either, if a big card and or storage device goes down or AWOL on the holiday of a life time, you will be kicking your self, and the bank manager for allowing you the over draught to buy it in the first place.

Carbonara 10:53 21 Feb 2006

I find this unit very handy, not only for photo transfers, but there will alwaays be detractors for ANY new devices.

pc_sausage 11:48 21 Feb 2006

Is there a hard drive / backup device that can be used on hols for downloading pics from camera / cards - that can also be used as a backup hard-drive for the home PC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?