Digital camera plus cam -corder

Hetti 14:22 08 Jan 2008

Can anyone tell me which video camera combines a good quality stills camera?

Pamy 15:59 08 Jan 2008

Hi Hetti, just to get your question clear, are you looking for a video camera, that can take stills, or , are you looking for a stills camera that can take good video?

Hetti 16:13 08 Jan 2008

I want a video camera first and formost, but I want one that is cabable of taking a photo that is good enough quality to getting a print from.
I have been looking on the net and I see some video cameras do take pics, but in reviews it says they are not good enough to get a pic printed from them, but OK for veiwing on PC or sending by email.
This ia all new to me and I would welcome some advice.

Pamy 16:29 08 Jan 2008

My old JVC video camera took slill pictures but they were actuall on the video tape. I had to get them off the tape onto my computer then mprint them or burn to disk. The quallity was very good.

Nowerdays, I think the video camers have a flas disk that can be inserted and stills are put on that but I do not know how good they are. What I would like is a digital still camera, with a good quality video.

anchor 17:01 08 Jan 2008

To get a camcorder combining good quality video, and good quality still pictures, will cost a lot of money. Much more than buying a decent camcorder, and a separate digital still camera.

It seems that some quite expensive camcorders only record "stills" at 2Mpixels or so. This is much lower than even quite cheap digicams now.

Hetti 17:55 08 Jan 2008

Anchor

Thank, Ill bear that in mind before i make up my mind

anskyber 19:40 08 Jan 2008

It is true that still can be of a low standard but not as a rule now.

I grant that costs are high but there are camcorders recording ont a hard drive with full High Definition (1080p) and which take stills at 10 M Pixels eg click here there are less expensive cameras which also have high still pic pixel rates.

anchor 13:15 09 Jan 2008

Certainly the Sony HDR-SR11 seems an excellent camera, taking amazingly high resolution still images of 10Mpixs.

I have not been able to locate a price for this model, but feel it will be very high.

anchor 16:55 09 Jan 2008

I have done a bit more research. As I said before, what you want is possible, at a price!.

Have a look at the Sony HDR-SR8E. A great camcorder, that will take stills at 6.1Mpix. (It received a recommended award in a December 2007 magazine).

Review here:

click here

Now the bad news; the price seems to range between £840 to £900; I don`t know if this is within your budget.

anchor 15:45 10 Jan 2008

Just received e-mail from Argos. The Sony HDR-SR7 is on offer at £666.65, (reduced from £1000). This also takes 6.1Mp stills.

click here

Hetti 18:14 10 Jan 2008

Looks great Anchor,(but was not planing to pay that price) I took the bull by the horns and bought a stills camera todayits not expensive but seems OK, I got a Panosonic TZ2 10 X optical zoom and six mega pixel. Ill buy the camcorder later as old one is still working OK but is big to carry.
Thanks for all advice given, most helpful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?