Didital/analogue transmitters

jack 09:40 30 Oct 2007

a friend has long time trouble getting a decent digital reception because an adjacent office block with all sorts of antenna on the roof in in the line of sight to his local transmitter[Crystal Palace].
The local TV engineer visiited him and rigged him up so that analogue continues from Crystal P but another Ariel for digital digital is directed to Blue Bell hill.
The result is a horrendous lash up of aerial inputs and 'box' connections.
Which means now that although he can watch digital, it seems as if he cannot record to his PVR.
I am going over to day to see if I can make sense of it.
As far as I am concerned the aerial input should be a simple series line starting at the digi box and looping in and out of other 'boxes' ending up at the TV.
I think to clean him up- a decision will have to be make Bluebell hill or Crystal Palace.
So my question is is Bluebell hill digital only?
or is it combined digital or analogue?
If the former would it be politic to advise go all digital and forget analogue?

Stuartli 11:05 30 Oct 2007

As a Freeview set top box merely converts digital transmissions back to analogue (otherwise you wouldn't be able to watch programmes) and all the five terrestial channels are available digitally, it makes sense to only use the digital signal.

Your assumption that the aerial input is a simple series of connections is correct, providing that the PVR has an RF loop through.

I'm able to record Freeview programmes on a VCR (using the L1 or L2 VCR channel) in this way.

wiz-king 11:12 30 Oct 2007

Bluebell Hill does both.(at the moment!)but you may find the channels are not the same.

jack 19:43 30 Oct 2007

Thank you both.
WhizKing-
This measn then I assume that to get analogue via Blue Bell Hill it would be a simple matter of resetting TV/VCR/PVR, - is that correct?

jack 17:00 31 Oct 2007

Found the now National Grid web site
very informative
All solved
J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone