Copying many files from dvd-how to be sure files are correct on hd?

theDarkness 14:47 27 Feb 2009

files on dvd-how to be sure my files are correct? I have backed up my music collection to mp3, and put the lot onto a couple of dvds to save alot of time for future usage. Verification was correct after burning the mp3s to dvd, so they should be ok, at least on the disc. If i buy a new hard drive and want to copy whats now on my dvds back to a new hard drive, i am wondering how i can make sure they copied perfectly without problems? Dvds and cds with alot of files do copy at a much slower disc speed, which surely helps the process, but how to be 100% sure they are ok? I am saying this because i have tried it before, in which files which are perfect on the dvd or cd would copy to my hd ok without warning or error messages, but one or two files when played would sometimes not work, and i would have to get the backup discs out again to copy them to the hd once more. Would that be a case of possibly having a poor hd or poor dvd drive when this happens? thanks

Pamy 18:48 27 Feb 2009

I guess it's a case of suck it and see as before. I do not think there is any 100% way of knowing. Just do it and play them and any not correct do again

theDarkness 19:12 27 Feb 2009

i guess if theres any errors in a music file then it is most likely not going to be able to play at all. if i was copying many files of any sort from cd or dvd, i suppose the possibility of not copying them accurately would really depend heavily on the quality of the dvd drive. bit of a pain if im dealing with lots of files and having to check everything file by file but thanks very much for the reply :)

bjh 11:54 03 Mar 2009

Teracopy click here might fit the bill. I know it has a certain amount of error-checking and retry before it gives up, and I think it tells you clearly if the copy was successful/failed.

I have used it, but it was a while ago, so I'm no expert... worth a look, though.

theDarkness 14:06 03 Mar 2009

thanks, ill give the program a go to copy to the hd. I bought an external hd the other day, if its used as the main back up and hardly ever accessed then ill cross my fingers that it lasts for a reasonable amount of time. or at least longer than recording to dvd and cd, which i tend to scratch easily!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?