Connecting integrated Freeview TV & Freeview DVD

Neston 02:54 12 Aug 2006

I'm looking to purchase an integrated Freeview TV and integrated Freeview DVD recorder so that I can record from Freeview via the DVD recorder and watch another Freeview channel via the TV at the same time.

Is it possible to get the digital signal to both the TV and DVD recorder when I only have one aerial point without having to switch the co-axial cable? Thanks.

dms05 07:39 12 Aug 2006

You can buy integrated Freeview recorders with 2 tuners and a HDD so you can watch one program whilst recording another. For example click here . You then have a much wider choice of TV model. If you want to then copy the programmes to DVD buy a cheap DVD Recorder.

Or buy a DVD Recorder with built in Freeview click here .

Options are endless!

FelixTCat 09:05 12 Aug 2006

Neston,

All you need is an aerial splitter.

None of the twin-tuner PVRs (Personal Video Recorders) can copy recorded programs onto a DVD, so if that is important to you, you do need a DVD recorder.

I am always worried about buying a TV with a built-in Freeview tuner. The tuner cannot be upgraded, so if high definition TV ever comes to Freeview, you won't get the benefit.

I prefer separate units. You might consider a non-Freeview TV which you can connect either to a PVR such as the excellent one from Argos (I have one and love it) or a separate Freeview box with 2 SCART outlets so that you can connect it to both the TV and a DVD recorder.

Regards,

Felix

Neston 13:20 12 Aug 2006

Thanks DMS/Felix - the models I'm looking to buy are the Sony KDL32V2000 Bravia TV and the Panasonic DMR-EX75/85 DVD recorder. Both have integrated Freeview.

I'll be connecting the two by HDMI but how does the aerial signal get to both machines? I would assume that I need to plug the aerial into the TV but how does the DVD get a signal so that I can record whilst watching another programme? Splitting the signal in my experience means a poorer signal.

Any further help would be appreciated! Thanks.

FelixTCat 14:03 12 Aug 2006

Neston,

In these circumstances you usually plug the aerial into the DVD recorder, which has a pass-through so you can connect another coax (usually supplied) from the DVD recorder to the TV. Also, you would normally connect the DVD recorder to the TV by a SCART cable to play back recordings.

I presume that the Freeview transmissions pass through the DVD player but I have never needed to check.

Regards,

Felix

DieSse 16:33 12 Aug 2006

To split a signal with no loss, the best method is a masthead amplifier with a passive splitter, with pass through for the amplifier power.

Second best is an indoor amplifier with multiple outputs, eg click here

Stuartli 13:03 14 Aug 2006

I don't have a Freeview DVD recorder (merely a Nicam stereo VCR) but the first TV aerial input goes to my Pioneer ITVDigital set top box; the RF signal then goes from the set top box to the VCR using a short extension lead and from the VCR the aerial feed is the usual link to the TV.

The VCR programmes/recordings output to the TV's AV socket via a Scart cable. Freeview recordings can easily be made on the VCR using its L1 or L2 channels (these were originally intended for recording satellite TV transmissions in the early 1990s!)

It's the standard method including a Scart cable between the set top box and VCR and should, I would have thought, work exactly the same in your case.

However, with both the VCR and set top box, you require two Scart sockets to be available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017