Compact digital camera with viewfinder

loopyloo 15:46 11 Nov 2008

I am looking to purchase a new digital compact camera and was looking at the Panasonic FS5 which I was really impressed with. The only thing is that it does not have a viewfinder and I was informed that on really sunny days I would have difficulty in taking pictures just using the screen because of the light. Now I'm not so sure and was wondering what other peoples opinions were, and if anyone can suggest a good camera with a viewfinder. There is a Sony w170 with viewfinder but this camera looks a bit complicated to use.

Pamy 15:54 11 Nov 2008

I would recommend one with a view finder, I have a Fugifilm F401 (old now) but exellent.

hssutton 16:07 11 Nov 2008

First things first, I think you will find that both cameras are much the same regarding being complicated/simple.

I use A DSLR, so on the odd occasion that I use a compact without a viewfinder I find myself struggling,

As an alternative have a look at the Canon Powershot A2000 IS, although this is a few £s dearer

oresome 16:16 11 Nov 2008

I've a Fuji with an EVF....electronic viewfinder.

I like the camera close to the body, not at arms length, plus I'd need glasses to see the screen, whereas there's a diopter adjustment on the viewfinder.

Model now obsolete {S7000}, but I expect they still do something similar.

anchor 17:08 11 Nov 2008

Have a look at a similar thread

click here

alB 19:08 11 Nov 2008

This is the one I went for last year (a lot more expensive than it is now !!) I have been very pleased with the results, It can be a point and shoot or if you feel like getting a bit more adventurous there's plenty of manual settings to twiddle with, If I had one reservation about the camera it would be the battery life, can be short if you use the screen a lot (not that I do) but I always carry an extra set of re-chargeables with me just in case ...alB
click here

laurie53 07:51 12 Nov 2008

I spent some time last year looking for a compact with a viewfinder, and found them very thin on the ground.

I ended up with a non-viewfinder Panasonic. You'll not do much better than alB's Canon Powershot, though it was not my cup of tea.

loopyloo 08:20 12 Nov 2008

Many thanks for everyones advice. As I said I really liked a Panasonic FS5 camera I saw but without viewfinder, but when talking to some people about not having the viewfinder for when it is a particular sunny day I was put off. As most of you have said there are hardly any manufacturers making the cameras with viewfinder in the compact range.

Stuartli 15:05 12 Nov 2008

You'll do well to better the Canon Powershot models with a viewfinder.

The version I mentioned in the thread to which anchor refers is particularly stunning value for money at present. See:

click here

One of the offspring has the A710IS with 6x zoom and image stabilisation (handy with a 6x zoom), but otherwise the differences are minimal. He paid a lot more than £60...:-)

kevinorange 10:27 19 Nov 2008

I was going to suggest the Canon PowerShot SD870 IS [url=click here]digital camera[/url] but again there is no viewfinder.
The problem is that a lot of compacts don’t have a viewfinder as they are not aimed at photographers.
I’ve found a couple of digital cameras with viewfinders on a camera review site click here which have a good write up. First there’s the Canon g10 or the sx10 which both take really sharp pictures that don’t look like point and shoot at all. Or alternatively the Nikon CoolPix. Have a look at the reviews and see what you think, it’s a good idea to narrow your choice down and then try the cameras out to see how they handle.
Sorry I can’t be of more help

^wave^ 15:47 19 Nov 2008

canon have view finders a640 g9 g10 to name a couple go to dpreview and look at there data base great site for cameras

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?