Colour on Black and White TV

JumpingJack 20:20 02 Apr 2008

Surely not the right place to post a thread on this but hey, cant see any better.

Sitting here thinking about the good old days and the time i was sitting in front of the TV watching the Tomorrow People.

Parents set was Black and White and colour wasnt around much in those days. There was a scene where the Characters watched a TV and that TV came through as colour!!

How is that possible? Surely a black and white TV cannot reproduce colour. If it can, why wasnt the rest of the screen in colour?

This isnt a trick question just been puzzled for last 30 years!

Stuartli 21:22 02 Apr 2008

Will probably remain a puzzle.

But not really worth having worried about it for the past 30 years...:-)

JumpingJack 23:28 02 Apr 2008

lol... you may have a point there. Perhaps parents had spiked my meal!

Still, its one of lifes little wonders...

BT 08:16 03 Apr 2008

I vaguely remember that. It was a technical trick that caused an optical illusion of some kind but I can't remember how it was done.

Stuartli 08:31 03 Apr 2008
  lofty29 15:18 03 Apr 2008

I remeber an OXO advert called "oxo brings you colour" back in the old b&w tv days but cannot say how it was done

Monument 15:56 03 Apr 2008

A black and white TV cannot display colour. Only shades of black gray and white.

click here shows how Black and White and colour TV works. As can be seen a colour TV gets its colour from red green and blue coating on the screen.

Stuartli 15:58 03 Apr 2008

That's a momentous discovery...:-)

lofty29 16:14 03 Apr 2008

Monument
I do not think anyone here is suggesting that it was "COLOUR" as we know it, only an illusion of colour. It is a true saying that the human eye sees what it expects to see.

Monument 16:46 03 Apr 2008

In jumping jacks opening post he states

"There was a scene where the Characters watched a TV and that TV came through as colour!!"

and then poses the question

"How is that possible? Surely a black and white TV cannot reproduce colour. If it can, why wasnt the rest of the screen in colour?"

I was confirming it was not possible. Either in reality or as an illusion/trick. - unless his parents painted it onto the screen!!!!

lofty29 17:01 03 Apr 2008

Monument
I can confirm it definitely "appeared" as a form of colour, I remember watching the OXO advert on tv. I can only assume that the greyscale flickering images were percieved by the optic nerve and transmitted to the brain as colour

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone