Cell phone tracking and spying.

Tigrekin 23:36 14 Oct 2015

To prevent cell phone tracking which is better : Airplane mode, using a antitracking pouch or just using a non digital cell phone?

Forum Editor 07:49 15 Oct 2015

Moved to Digital homes and smartphone help from Speakers Corner.

BT 08:28 15 Oct 2015

If you're that worried just switch it OFF when not in use.

I seem to think all cell/mobile phones are digital.

morddwyd 09:50 15 Oct 2015

Unless you have some reason to suspect you are being tracked it is easy to get paranoid about this.

I never tick "Allow Tracking" or similar options, but I'm not really bothered by it.

EmilySpencer 10:36 15 Oct 2015

I am not sure but in my opinion signal is not good when in airplane mode... so, tracking must be done in digital mode... please suggest me also with technical details...??

spuds 10:51 15 Oct 2015

Whether this as anything to do with the originators question, I would not know, but it might be interesting to find out, if it is a part of their question.

My mobile is always switched off, but that doesn't prevent it from self activating and switching itself on, when a text to it is being transmitted. This can I believe, lead to a battery drain!.

If there is a way of switching this mobile off completely, then I have never been able to find the way!.

AroundAgain 11:20 15 Oct 2015

Spuds

If you take the battery out and it still starts up, you've got something special there ;)

That's the only sure-fire way of definitely stopping it working that I can think of, short of smashing it up, which I doubt you want to do.

Are you sure it's not that the screen's not just 'black' in which case, yes, any incoming message or phone call will come through. What happens if you power-down? It should be totally switched off then.

spuds 11:53 15 Oct 2015

AroundAgain

Not sure if this will make sense. I switched off the mobile by its normal means, and all seems fine.

Yet returning, I can find that the phone switched itself on, usually via an incoming 'nuisance' text message, which remains, until I again switch it off.

If that makes sense. Not a big deal, but I have noticed, that it can drain the battery?.

morddwyd 15:45 15 Oct 2015

spuds

Depends a bit on the phone.

On my Samsung a simple press on the on/off button does turn it off, but it can still be woken.

A long press on the button brings up a "do you want to switch off" dialogue, followed by a confirmation screen if yo say yes.

I've never know it be woken electronically when switched off this way, but that's not to say it can't happen!

BT 08:43 16 Oct 2015

On my Samsung a simple press on the on/off button does turn it off, but it can still be woken.

I don't have a 'SmartPhone' just an old fashioned mobile that makes calls and does texts, nothing else and 'off' is 'off'.

My Samsung tablet however also works as morddwyd says. A short single push of the switch in effect puts it in sleep mode, and a longer push asks you if you want to switch off.

spuds 08:59 16 Oct 2015

"A short single push of the switch in effect puts it in sleep mode, and a longer push asks you if you want to switch off."

I don't seem to have that facility. It's a straight On/Off procedure!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?