Can't get Email on phone without WiFi

Wendy 15:12 12 May 2017

I have a Timmy phone which is really good. However, I have discovered that I can't get my email on it without wifi. My very old phone could access email using GPRS without any wifi needed. On this new smartphone, I just get the message that the app only works with wifi. Is there some other app or some other way I can get my email without wifi on the phone? I Have tried setting it to data and all that sort of thing. This probably sounds thick.
Can anyone help?

bremner 16:31 12 May 2017

I am guessing you have mobile data turned off completely - Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data or You have mobile data disabled for Email - Settings > Data Usage > Background Data > Email

Forum Editor 22:28 12 May 2017

I agree with bremner - you need to turn on mobile data.

Wendy 13:15 14 May 2017

Thank you for the two replies. It's good to know that people want to help. I have mobile data turned on, but it still says 'no connection. Would it need to connect via 3g? Sorry if I sound daft but I don't fully understand all of this.

bremner 15:53 14 May 2017

Wendy

No connection means there is no mobile data connection - on the top of the phone screen it will say what the state of the data connection is. To the left of the battery percentage you should see a right angled triangle which is the phone signal strength and to its left the data signal. What does it say?

alanrwood 13:00 18 May 2017

Sounds as though you may not have the APN settings correct in Settings/More/Mobile Networks. Get the correct settings for your particular mobile supplier and enter them exactly.

Wendy 10:21 29 May 2017

Thanks for all the replies. I'm afraid that in the end I gave up and bought another phone! The thing is we have very poor broadband here so the phone is pretty crucial. Thanks again

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?