Camera not recognised by premiere 4 - Vista

awest3 21:09 19 Jul 2008

Just moved to Vista (new PC) and find that when trying to use Adobe Premiere Elements my Sony dcr-pc110e digital handycam is not recognised! This is strange as if I connect my camera (via firewire)and turn it on it automatically starts Premiere...also sometimes it will start the camera running (you leave it in pause mode) but not actually capture any footage. I must have a setting wrong somewhere but I can't see what...the firewire card and camera are recpgnised by windows and do not report any problems...in Premiere itself it says no devcice detected and device offline..!looked on the adobe site and have been through their solutions but as I said all seems ok in this area...any help gratefully received as ever..Al

jack 09:58 20 Jul 2008

For many type of device- your may be one of them.
Remove any supplied software and try without it Vista may come up with a 'built in' answer.
This link may also be useful.
click here

awest3 15:14 20 Jul 2008

Hi Jack, thanks for this, there is no supplied driver on my machine it was picked up from Vista. I have however tried to download a new copy only to be told that my driver is the latest one.

Al

peter99co 16:48 21 Jul 2008

I suppose the camera is set to PC?

My camera needs to be changed to connect.

jack 19:48 21 Jul 2008

the computer read the Camera or the card as a new drive? It should.
If not try a card reader.
Then Windows own - Windows Movie Maker.
Its built in - Its Free

awest3 20:40 21 Jul 2008

Hi, I have XP on another computer which works perfectly with this camera...I could use WMM but then whats the point in buying PE..! I'm getting around the problem at the moment by capturing it on the XP computer then exporting it to the Vista PC. But this is really not the point it should work with Vista..! I've contacted Sony who say its not their problem (helpful..I think not) and I've left a post on the adobe forum..maybe they will have seen this before..I've not seen this problem on many of the other forums I've looked at which made me think it was peculier to my set up. Al

jack 19:49 22 Jul 2008

This is the general attitude of the peripheral industry ever since VISTA came on the scene. A right bust up between Microsoft who expect the industry to cow tow to them- and the industry who think otherwize- 'Stuff is supposed to be backward compatible they say.

You could also Read up on the Compatibility Wizard and try to activate is for this particular software

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Compatibility Wizard.

jack 19:50 22 Jul 2008

This is the general attitude of the peripheral industry ever since VISTA came on the scene. A right bust up between Microsoft who expect the industry to cow tow to them- and the industry who think otherwize- 'Stuff is supposed to be backward compatible they say.

You could also Read up on the Compatibility Wizard and try to activate is for this particular software

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Compatibility Wizard.

^wave^ 08:43 23 Jul 2008

have you looked at sonys web site for an update to your cameras software for vista had to do for my father in laws sony to get it to work

awest3 09:57 23 Jul 2008

I'll have a look at the compatability wizard....thanks

I've been onto the sony website and it says my software is the latest edition...but I'll give it another try...Thanks

Al

awest3 15:05 24 Jul 2008

Tried using the compatability wizard to simulate XP SP2 but no joy...
Tried downloading a new copy of software for the Sony Camera...(had the latest version)..no change...back to the drawing board..

Al

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017