Camcorder - DVD record - which one?

Woolwell 21:05 04 Jun 2006

My son wants a Camcorder which records to DVD (8cm) format (doesn't want mini-dv). He wants to edit on a Mac or PC and since he lives overseas would ideally like to use it as a webcam as well. Is this possible?
Budget about £350.
Any recommendations?

De Marcus™ 23:01 04 Jun 2006

Unless editing software is provided with the camera, your son may hit a wall unless cost is not an issue and something you've budgted for or researched into whether it's included with the camera. Using it as a web cam is down to specific camera's, I'll leave that to other members to advise on.

Woolwell 23:24 04 Jun 2006

De Marcus - Thank you.

I'm happy with the software. Need best advice for camcorder though.

rodriguez 10:51 05 Jun 2006

This Sony one (click here) is £350 so would fit your budget, however it doesn't say much but the camera. This Canon one (click here) is £3 more and gives a lot more detail, however i don't know if it would work as a webcam. There are also some more on this page (click here).

Woolwell 12:29 05 Jun 2006

Just realised that he lives in a NTSC standard country. Probably need dual PAL NTSC capability. I can see the budget going up!

Woolwell 12:41 05 Jun 2006

The answer to NSTC PAL may be a multi region DVD player that can read DVD +/- discs.

MichelleC 13:51 05 Jun 2006

Just a small point: Editing from files from camcords which record to dvd (file format is mpeg2)can be slower with some editing suites than avi (DV).

Woolwell 15:24 05 Jun 2006

Not such a small point! I wasn't aware of that - thank you.

rodriguez 17:47 05 Jun 2006

About the PAL and NTSC thing - most DVD players in the UK will play back NTSC and convert the video so it displays properly on a PAL TV, however not as many US players will convert a PAL signal to display on an NTSC TV because it's harder to do. You can get them, but they cost a bit more. The + and - DVD formats aren't anything to with video standard so buying a player that can handle both won't help but most new players play both anyway. You'll need to find one that can play both PAL and NTSC discs AND convert the video signal (I have a DVD recorder that will play NTSC but won't convert the signal so it looks black & white and stretched). So just keep the difference between video standards in mind.

Woolwell 18:49 05 Jun 2006

Thank you. I will have to find out what DVD player/recorder he can get.

fazer 13:40 06 Jun 2006

Why does your son want a DVD-corder? - I strongly recommend against it because of the PAL/NTSC issues described above and for the fact that video editing (via computer)is easier (and ? better quality) via mini-dv. And of course buying DV will give him a far greater choice of camera's to choose from.

In respect of using it as a web-cam, unless I am very much mistaken, I would expect all camera's to be capable of doing this - its the same principle as connecting it to a television.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone