Buying / using a Sky + box

rancyroo 21:33 26 Aug 2006

Am looking at getting a Sky + box to use as a HDD recorder. Gets excellent user reviews for ease of use and clarity of the EPG. This is vital to get my wife to use it.
To get one from Sky I would have to do monthly sub or buy a package which do not want to do.
If I buy one of the many for sale on eg ebay does this avoid paying a monthly sub or do Sky get you in some way when you try to use it?

Grateful if anybody can clarify this for me.
Many thanks

DieSse 00:54 27 Aug 2006

You cannot use any of the "+" features, including the recorder functions, without an extra subscription - they just don't work.

In addition to the box you need an LNB with a minimum of two outputs (Sky normally fit a quad LNB, then you can use your old digibox in another room too) - and a cable to the dish for each outlet you use (2 for the Sky+ box itself).

ArrGee 09:44 28 Aug 2006

I have a Sky + box, connected to a PC using a hybrid digital-analogue USB TV stick. USB stick cost around £30 including appropriate recording software, so no need to pay the extra tenner a month to Sky to record my programs. Instead a one off £30 and record straight to my PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?