buy new monitor , need to update graphics card?

moonwolf 10:16 27 Oct 2007

hi there, im going to buy a new monitor for photography , the Formac Gallery Xtreme Digital 20.1" TFT 12ms 1000:1 (1600x1200- i think! found it for £222.08 incl vat

will i need to update my graphics card to accomodate this new monitor?
currently have

· nVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 64MB
·
· Memory size: 64MB
· Interface: AGP 4x
· Compatibility: PC
· Memory bus width: 256-bit
· Memory technology: SDRAM
· Maximum resolution: 2048 x 1536

nikky

Stuartli 10:34 27 Oct 2007

I used to have the same graphics card - it's at least six years ago...:-)

A new graphics card wouldn't go amiss in any case due to advancements over the years in technology.

You won't have to spend an enormous amount to get a suitable model.

crosstrainer 13:10 27 Oct 2007

Do you have a pci-e slot on your motherboard? If it's agp, you should be able to track down a card very cheaply....To do that monitor any kind of justice (especially for photo work) You really do need something with at least 256mb of video memory.

You could try: Here (for agp)

click here

And here: (for pci-e)

click here

This is a good selection, but make sure you check your slots..AGP and PCI-E are not interchangeable.

crosstrainer 14:45 27 Oct 2007

Missed the agp bit on your post...Agp it is then, go for the best you can afford...they have dropped very low in price and you should be able to afford a high end card...Make sure it's capable of running your new monitor in it's native resolution in order to get the best from your new kit:)

TonyM 20:44 27 Oct 2007

Whilst your graphics card is "old", it is capable of delivering 2048x1536 resolution which is quite a bit more than that required by the monitor (1600x1200). If you are using just 2D applications and displaying photos, it may be perfectly adequate -

For digital photography work, a big hard drive (for storage), and a fast processor and more RAM (for quicker image manipulation) are much more important and upgrading them may be a more cost effective option

Diemmess 15:39 29 Oct 2007

I go along with TonyM.
Try it first with your old graphics card.

In fact, if you are making a change, and can buy a larger monitor now, that alone will transform your photo editing. click here Look at the specs of the LG and Samsung. Response time is tiny and conrast ratio huge.

I have just bought the 22" Samsung wide screen and though previously reluctant to accept wide screen format, the picture is not distorted and will allow two "pages" side by side.

As long as you stay away from demanding games your MX 400 should work fine.

Gamer555 22:48 30 Oct 2007

I have that graphics card in a PC. I use it for photo editing with a 20inch monitor and I have no problems. It will work fine. As Diemmess says, it won't play games but photo editing will be fine!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?