burning files onto disc straight from external usb drive-do i enable write caching?

theDarkness 01:45 21 Feb 2009

burning files onto disc straight from external usb drive-at the moment file caching is disabled on this external drive- this allows instant usb cable insertion or taking out. My question is if i am writing files onto cd or dvd straight from this external drive which is connected to my desktop pc, should i enable this external hard drives file caching? If caching is not enabled on the external drive am i therefore more prone to badly burnt discs? Or will it not make a difference since the desktop system burning the files has its own caching anyway? Im not entirely sure how things should work, so thanks for any info if possible. The external drive i have bought is just as fast as my internal drive, but there is no room to copy my files from the external one onto the internal one, but i would imagine this should not be necessary

Kemistri 17:06 21 Feb 2009

It will make no difference at all as far as I can figure out. Even if it caused a small difference in throughput from the external drive to the data controller, CD writing software shouldn't be fazed at all by that, so I don't see any real need to worry about it. At the CD drive end of the chain, it's the buffer memory that handles things and that isn't going to be affected by slow throughput anyway, only the opposite.

I have to add that your external drive cannot be as fast as your internal drive unless your internal drive and/or its controller is/are very slow. If you're judging it by spin speed or something like that, don't be misled into thinking that any one figure fairly represents performance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?