Blues-Digital TV usng installed digital tuner card

Recha 14:50 01 Jan 2006

Digital TV using installed digital tuner card'

Hi,

I think this would be the perfect platform to get a query of mine answered.Would really appreciate responses:-

I have recently purchased Hauppage Digital TV tuner card.And would like to subscribe to Sky.Is that possible?

The thing is that I do not have an aerial fitted in the house, I am renting at the moment. So cant get any freeviews.
My only alternative is a sky subsciption.

But I would like to know if by installing hauppage digital TV tuner card if I would be able to do that?

Hope my query would be answered.

Cheers
Recha

tasslehoff burrfoot 15:07 01 Jan 2006

You will need a sky box as only sky boxes have the capacity to decrypt sky broadcasts.

You should be able to attach the sky box to your card, even if only via RF.

DieSse 15:47 01 Jan 2006

I answered you in the other thread you started from - but didn't know you'd already started your own - so if you look back you can see my answer - which is pretty much like the one above!

Recha 17:25 01 Jan 2006

Well, sorry to put you through this,But I am not a very tech savy person.

If i understood correctly, did you mean that If i take a sky subscription and have a sky digi box installed. I can view channels by plugging the aerial in my TV tuner card.
Please let me know what is an RF?? ( that might make me sound like an absolute dud in the tech savy forum).

Also i checked up my tv tuner card is Hauppage WIN TV -Digi terrestrial TV . Does that mean that I can only view Freeview channels?

I would highly appreciate your responses.

Cheers

Stuartli 20:22 01 Jan 2006

RF is Radio Frequency. It refers to the coaxial cable connection you use to link a TV aerial to a TV set or relay the transmission between two or more units, such as a VCR to TV.

You can get PCI TV cards that can be used to receive satellite transmissions with a card such as:

click here

which has a smart card slot, but whether this works with Sky I don't know.

Stuartli 20:25 01 Jan 2006

Yes. What's more you will need quite a strong signal to pick up Freeview signals - unfortunately a set top aerial won't do.

Did you not check out the differences first between Freeview terrestial and Sky satellite when you bought the card?

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:58 01 Jan 2006

Sky are very careful about who they allow to manufacture devices that will accept their cards. I am not aware of any PC cards that will.

I have previously received a perfect picture on freeview using an indoor (set top) arial.

Stuartli 23:45 03 Jan 2006

Your set top indoor aerial must be an exceptional one or you live right under the transmitter...:-)

tasslehoff burrfoot 00:09 04 Jan 2006

Haven't got a clue!

The aerial cost no more than a tenner and I have no idea where the transmitter is.

I now live about a mile from that place and can't get a decent sgnal (analogue or digital) with a rooftop aerial.

Stuartli 16:26 06 Jan 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)