Best way to scan photos to increase print size

Assassin 09:19 24 May 2009

A friend has had some professional photos taken that the studio charges a fortune to print. But they've given her set of about 24 thumbnails each about 2x1 inches on an A4 sheet of quality glossy photo paper. What's the best way of scanning these in to try to blow up the print size? I'd be using my Epson Photo PX800FW which has a max 5760 resolution. Should I scan the A4 all in one go or scan each thumbnail separately? And what settings should I use? Grateful for any advice thanks.

Diemmess 09:31 24 May 2009

The professional proofs you have are made deliberately at thumbnail size to allow you to choose only which you would like printed!

The individual pics you see on the A4 sheet are very low resolution and while you can scan and print A4 and larger, all you will have are very large, very fuzzy prints.

There is only minimal information for each shot.
Use a strong magnifying glass and look again at the proofs.

Assassin 10:18 24 May 2009

Yes thanks; I realise the "free" thumbnails are deliberately small and meant only to tempt you to spend your money on the full resolution images.
But I wasn't thinking of trying to print them at A4 size - I just wondered if the interpolating software on the scanner might allow acceptable quality 4x6 prints for example?

Kevscar1 11:23 24 May 2009

You would need to scan each one seperatley. Do it at the max resolution your scanner is capable of but I don't think they will be too good

kidsis 11:39 24 May 2009

do you think the Studio would agree to this: give your friend a cd containing the pictures at a size she could print, and at a price that was less than they would charge to print them? I am not suggesting they may do this for no charge, but it would be a compromise! May be worth asking.

john bunyan 13:40 24 May 2009

The thing is these are the copyright of the studio so officially they should not be Copied.
If you scan at , say, 1200 dpi, you may get something ok at a print output of 300dpi at about 14cm x 9.5 cm . Some studios will sell a cd as above but not for high street prices. I understand your view but it is an infringement of copyright and studios need to cover their costs.

Diemmess 17:42 24 May 2009

Again -
The Professional is performing a service and is entitled to be paid for his effort.

The fees vary enormously depending on whether it is an amateur with a day job, or a professional studio which even 10 years ago charged my Graphic designer daughter a mere £500 per day for his studio.
His photography was a lot extra depending on all sorts, like number and quality of the shots.
All this, in her case was passed on to the firm which accepted her pitch for labelling on their bottles and packaging.

A local printer told me a long time ago that a paper print however large or small needed only 200 dots per inch to look sharp and clear.

However fine the resoultion of your scanner, it won't show detail that just isn't there to start with.

Wedding photographers have so many ways of selling their services. I imagine that some firms may contract for an album of prints and perhaps a CD as well, but the fees will reflect this.

BT 08:05 25 May 2009

For clarification on Copyright issues visit the The UK Copyright Service website

click here

Extract from above...

"If Bill Smith asks Peter Jones the photographer to photograph his wedding. Peter Jones will normally provide a single copy of the prints as part of the fee, but any additional prints Bill or his family and friend want must be ordered via Peter as he is the copyright owner and controls who can copy his work."

This makes it quite clear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?