Best slide scanner?

Forum Editor 11:55 07 Feb 2009

A friend of mine wants to buy a slide scanner, but he hasn't a clue which one, and I'm not qualified to advise - can anyone help?

The friend doesn't want to spend more that £150 if he can help it.

Forum Editor 12:07 07 Feb 2009

Apparently the need is for scanning 35mm negatives.

jack 13:30 07 Feb 2009

Any light in lid flat scanner will do it.
Epson is my favourite
Scan transparent media any sort - the software sorts pos/neg issues.

Do avoid the items so often advertised in Newspaper special offer for £100 or so.
They are absolute trash.

jack 13:34 07 Feb 2009
  Noels 13:46 07 Feb 2009

I had a Microtek dedicated slide scanner about 15 yrs ago to scan my large collection of family slides,it was excellent but I don't think its made anymore.
The point I would make is that once I had scanned all my slides the scanner became redundant.If your friend wants to scan a one-off slide collection then for £150 any good photo processing laboratory will scan and burn to CD an awful lot of slides at varying resolutions.
It may be worth considering as good labs also have the facility to remove dust marks etc.
Regards
Noels

Ventad 14:55 07 Feb 2009

I have just purchased an Epson Photo perfection V300 scanner mainly to copy 35mm slides to computer, these slides are 45 years old and apart from the really dark ones that you cant see when held up to the light its doing a pretty good job. takes about 5 mins to scan 4 slides then you can do changes to them after - brightness colour etc. Tescos £68

amonra 15:49 07 Feb 2009

I bought a Canon 8800F some time back to copy all my old 35mm slides and negs. It does a wonderful job of both and I am very pleased with the results. Scanning colour slides does take a long time, but well worth it. You can set it to "scan" and carry on with something else, no problem. Thoroughly recommended.

oresome 16:18 07 Feb 2009

I purchased a dedicated Acer Scanwit film and slide scanner.

The difference in quality between this and using an Epson flatbed scanner as jack suggested is very small and wasn't worth the money in my opinion.

Stuartli 16:22 07 Feb 2009

Nikon and Minolta/Konica 35mm film scanners were always regarded as the benchmarks, but are difficult to find now.

This could suffice:

click here

This Veho (also rebadged as a ION) is on offer at Amazon for around £60-70, but seems to have its problems judging by some buyers' reviews. PC Advisor blog:

click here

laurie53 19:48 07 Feb 2009

I've used a Primefilm dedicated 35 mm scanner.

Excellent results, but desperately slow.

Very poor trade off between resolution and speed.

Forum Editor 23:34 07 Feb 2009

for all that useful information - now duly passed on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?