Best Book, Tutorial for Adobe PS Elements 3?

Danoh 09:25 10 Mar 2006

I would like to do better then bump at the top of the iceberg of functions available in Elements 3 which came bundled with a product I bought.

So far, I've only used the contrast, colour hues, shadows/highlights brigthness and got quite confused with "layers", obtaining desired results by accident rather then by design.

Most of these are on digital photos but a few also on scanned negatives & old slides.

Would appreciate recommendations on books or online resources (tutorials, tips, etc) which have proved useful to others.

Many thanks in anticipation.

BRYNIT 10:20 10 Mar 2006

Although I do not use PS Elements a quick search of the web and found click here if this is any help.

hssutton 11:48 10 Mar 2006

I agree with BRYNIT. you will find some excellent online video tutorials as well as other content

Danoh 23:02 10 Mar 2006

Thanks for the great link! Will appreciate any others while I work through this one! :-)

LAP 09:19 11 Mar 2006

I subscribe to Photo Digital mag. It comes with a cd rom on which are video tutorials all deal with Adobe and 2 or 3 usually deal with Elements 3. These tutorials are put together in plain English and provide the images on disc so that you can work on them yourself. I now have a very good understanding of layers. If you click on my wifes web site click here you will see an animated gif that I created using layers and there is also a picture that I did with her name on inlaid into a piece of silk.

Treat yourself to ONE copy of this mag.

LAP 16:07 12 Mar 2006

Just had April's issue drop on the door mat and only one video relates to Elements 3.

Danoh 22:51 12 Mar 2006

Thanks LAP; how do you rate May's issue coverage of Elements 3? It should still be on the shelves for me. And also April's coverage?

LAP 13:53 13 Mar 2006

Donah, I have not seen May's issue so cannot comment, as for April's not the best example.

Oh and by the way it's Digital Photo mag, not as I originally put.

The best one I have seen for Elements 2 or 3 is a (back issue) April 2005 if not May 2005. I started subscribing in Sep 2004.

I have just phoned the 'back issue' line on 0845 121 4000 but they are unavailable. You can check for back issues by emailing [email protected]

As I cannot get on with 'books' these cd's are the best thing, even if you haven't got the more more expensive photoshop CS or whatever you can still watch the other tutorials and pick up tips which are very useful. Since my last thread my wife has updated her web site again with another animated gif which I created in Elements 3 this consists of 102 frames.

LAP 16:42 19 Mar 2006

How you getting on? 'it's a learning curve'

Danoh 10:07 20 Mar 2006

Thanks LAP; yes it is a learning curve, which I've not made much progress on ~ non PC stuff got in the way :-)

Thanks to all for posting; will tick this as resolved but still welcome further suggestions!

fazer 13:16 21 Mar 2006

Danoh,

You have my sympathy! I started to learn about Photoshop last June and am nowhere near what you may call competant.

However, what I did learn from an early stage is that books on the subject do not help because they rarely explain how an action happens - which leaves you having to learn "parrot fashion" without any insight on how to apply the skill to other tasks.

You do as a priority need to learn about layers as they are a fundamental part of the whole Adobe "experience" and are essential to control whatever enhancements you you add to your original image.

There are many, many sites to help you - just type in Photoshop Tutorials (same as Elements in this respect) and explore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?