Audiophiles and film makers please heed

jack 19:11 21 Dec 2006

I have a chum who is a magnificent film maker with digital camcorder.
He travels widely and makes his films with a dedicated editing suite- not yer actual PC with Movie Maker or some other loaded.

The film comes with ambient sound[street noises and voices] voice over narrative and background music added in editing from all sorts of sources.

These he has been showing us on his home standard DVD player/TV set up.
Because our armchair travel group of which he is a member, has grown dramatically in size we have had to move away from a front room in a members home- to a hired room in an education centre a hired digital projector,running the film[s] through a standard DVD player [an ASDA Phillips Cheapy] and running the sound through a separate amp.[A guitar amp as it happens]
This is where the problem lays.
On the DVD player/TV set up the sound is pretty damn good even though it is through the standard -naff- TV speaker.
Running it through the amp and it seems to get 'unravelled' with music drowning narration, ambient street sounds blasting every thing- which means some one [me]has to sit with the Amp twitching the controls to try to maintain a balance.
So the question is - why does the Amp 'unravel the mix' and how can it be stopped or maintained.

jack 15:43 22 Dec 2006

Bump

De Marcus™ 22:21 22 Dec 2006

It depends on how the audio was encoded and the 'suite' which was used to burn, there are many ways of editing video and audio and the problem most likely lies in the way in which the audio has been edited. If it was edited to suit a stereo speaker system then it will sound great, if however the editor hasn't taken into account the fact that it may possibly be played on a surround sound system (and adjusted each channel accordingly) then volume levels and background noises won't have been accounted for and therefore noise is present through (usually) the rear two speakers.

That's my theory anyway :-)

jack 09:11 23 Dec 2006

Thank you DM
I understand what you mean.
I have no idea how the editing was organized of course.
My personal feeling is it was edited default[no fancy systems simply standard two channel.]
Certainly the DVD player output is standard two channel
The amp., mentioned of course- being a single channel
device has the dual channel RCA lines into a combining adapter.
So that takes it all back to square one - That is
how did the amp., manage to unravel a single input?
I have an inkling it has something to do do with the way the Guitar Amp's filtering is organized- but i don't know enough about that subject to grasp it.

fazer 14:43 28 Dec 2006

Only a thought but perhaps the amp, being used in an education setting, is designed or has been switched to volume-up low volume sounds - in the same way old VCR's used to do during quiet passages.

Can the dvd player be switched so that it only outputs stereo signals?

jack 16:48 28 Dec 2006

Fazer wrote
Can the dvd player be switched so that it only outputs stereo signals?

Indeed the DVD player outputs only stereo via the Red/White RCA phono pair and connects to Amp via one of those phone stereo to 3mm miniature jack adapters

fazer 18:26 20 Jan 2007

Jack,

What I mean regarding stereo-out is that the DVD could be switched to output "bitstream" as opposed to "stereo." Unless the amplifier has a dolby or prologic decoder, then you should keep the DVD switched as "stereo."

This may help as the same process applies to sterio-only televisions -only use bitsream is you have the means of decoding it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?