Annoying habit on built in TV Digital tuners

john bunyan 14:59 08 Mar 2009

I have two digital TV's, a Sony and a Pioneer. Both about a year old. From time to time a "static" noise is heard at the back, and some or all Freeview channels are either missing or poor. When I use the attached DVD recorders as tuners , the picture is ok , indicating the aerial is ok. I have to do a re-installation to resore the situation. In our area the Freeview channels are being upgraded / changed on 25 Mar. I find it annoying that this happens - I am sure the "wiring" of HDMI and Scarts is ok. Any views? Same thing used to happen with a set top box.

oresome 18:03 08 Mar 2009

Digital tuners vary in performance.

You believe that the aerial signal is OK, but it might just be sufficient for some tuners to work and just below the threshold for the others.

In an ideal world, you would have a signal that was a minimum 20dB above the threshold, which would allow for variations of the signal caused by weather conditions etc and differences in performance of digital tuners.

You could try it out by purchasing a 20dB attenuator and fitting it inline with the aerial feed and seeing if you still received an error free picture and sound.

Noise pick up can also cause errors and a digital approved aerial with a balun and good quality coaxial cable will alleviate this.

john bunyan 19:26 08 Mar 2009

I suspect my coaxial cable is a bit old. Trouble is it is routed from roof into and under floorboards and down through a cavity wall, and the thought of replacing it is daunting. Thinking of a Freesat PVR and will face up to running goog new cables when I get it.The attenuator you mentioned - is it designed to help things, and where do you fit it? An aerial booster has helped the upstairs tv, I think.
The Pioneer is only 3 months old - great picture etc but this re- tuning is annoying.

oresome 19:50 08 Mar 2009

The attenuator is only a suggestion to test the strength of the signal to see if you have a safety margin. It must be removed again to restore normal signal level.

Does the upstairs TV share the same aerial? You could try the booster downstairs to see if it helps there.

Getting Freesat will give you access to HD transmissions of course as well as hopefully eliminating your signal problems.

john bunyan 20:01 08 Mar 2009

Thanks for your help. Will try booster downstairs and , one day, face the upheaval of new cable(s) 3 - 1 for Freeview, two for Freesat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?