android phone sim card help

debh 23:08 09 May 2015

I've just bought a mobile on eBay, probably from China. It's got dual sim capability and I can't fit them. The seller said that it will take 2g gsm 850/900/1800/1900 MHz and 3g Wcdma 850/2100 MHz. Being a complete techno geek I have no idea if this means normal sim cards. Would someone be able to advise please? Thanks

theDarkness 01:03 10 May 2015

What phone brand and model is your new phone? What phone was your old sim card used in? I believe as long as the phone is unlocked to use any network, and the phone can accept those networks, you will just have to go to your phone operator and request a compatible sim for your phone, stating the sim card type.

click here to compare sim cards

What frequencies the phone can accept, and what frequency the phone company you want to use is projecting their network on, are important. 3G covers practically all of the UK now so should be relatively safe with any network using that. I believe for the UK 2G and 3G use 900, 1800 and 2100mhz, although someone might be able to correct me on this if not.

For unlocked foreign phones that do not work even with the correct sim, they may need to be set up to accept the network ie accept the correct frequencies, by entering a hidden menu (often accessed by a set of numbers on the keypad, which can vary according to phone).

1]: [click here

theDarkness 01:29 10 May 2015

2G and 3G simply stand for second generation and third generation. Think of 2G as dial up and 3G as broadband. As each generation goes by, phones can handle faster networks. A 2G sim card has enough memory to handle a 2G network for your phone, and a 3G sim has more memory to use a 3G compatible network.

Sim card size and type have little to do with being 2G or 3G, and have more to do with taking up less physical space inside your phone. Sim cards have shrunk in size as the years have gone by.

morddwyd 09:25 10 May 2015

Could this be as simple as physical size.

Micro SIM cards are much smaller than what used to be known as "normal" nSIM cards.

click here

Batch 09:57 10 May 2015

You need to appreciate that there is a vast range of mobile technology standards that are used in different ways in various countries (and by different carriers within countries).

Have you checked that the standards that the phone supports are compatible with your location?

SIM cards come in 3 sizes these days. Standard, micro and nano. This is more to do with the phone manufacturer aiming to make things as small as possible rather than the network technology. Some networks supply a single SIM that can be broken out to the different sizes. Others will supply standard, micro or nano upon request.

alanrwood 14:03 10 May 2015

If it is a dual sim phone then usually one sim is Normal and the other is Micro. Usually only sim2 will support 3G, sim 1 supporting only 2G. That can be reversed usually in the set up but only one sim is 3G compatible at any one time (Data wise that is). Both sims are active for voice/texts at all times and you can select which sim is used for outgoing voice/texts/mms and Data in the sim prefs.

Most sims nowadays are supplied as normal with the micro being a push out from the normal one. Alternatively a sim cutter is only about £2 on eBay.

debh 22:24 11 May 2015

Hi Thank you all for your help. At least I know more than I did before. I asked for instrutions from the seller and he sent me picture of the SIM and how to insert and it turns out I was putting it in correctly, but the phone was still coming up with 'no SIM detected'. I'm sending it back and learning from my experience and buying a branded phone. Thanks again Debbie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?