alternative for sky+ (any ideas)

ob1.kenobi 22:42 15 May 2007

lookin for an alternative to sky plus, cost is getting more and more all the time. is there an alternative to this ie like a pc format???

please help and let me know if you have had any luck with your own inventions.

thanks

Kate B 01:13 16 May 2007

click here Excellent Freeview twin tuner/hdd recorder. I've got this and wouldn't consider Sky.

al7478 01:34 16 May 2007

Sorry for waffling but i thought id just contribute to the thread in the interests of keeping it alive. I'm quite interested in sky+, but resent the £10/month subscription after buying the hardware.

Hopefully they'll find some way to rectify that at some stage, as i think its a great idea, with few serious competitors at the moment. And Freeview in my are is patchy at best. I currently have a very low spec sky subscription (£15pcm), but will be switching t freesat when my year's contract is up.

I paid because freesat doesnt offer 2 channels that i wanted at the time, but ive experienced those channels for 10 months now, and they offer vewry little that i want to see regularly.

hastelloy 07:31 16 May 2007

I went for click here and am delighted. Will record 2 digital channels whilst you watch a 3rd.

Kate B 11:04 16 May 2007

That Topfield is very similar to the Humax in terms of functionality, but more expensive.

al7478 11:12 16 May 2007

does that only work with freeview, or would it work with sky too?

Sebastian Ereira 12:54 16 May 2007

some people could not get digital

hastelloy 19:31 16 May 2007

I agree, but my research found better reviews for the Toppy and it has the advantage that you can customise it by downloading and installing TAPs - written by other Toppy users. It will also allow watching a programme that's still recording and you can record 2 whilst watching a 3rd (providing they're on the same mux). Also the model I have has a 250G HDD (may or may not be important). For more information see click here

Kate B 20:48 16 May 2007

al7478 - it will only work with Freeview.

marvin42, it does look like a nice box. I'd go for it if I were buying one now. Oh, and you can record two and watch a third (subject to the same thing) on the Humax, though.

Al94 22:17 16 May 2007

Cost is reducing from July 07. Sky are abolishing the additional £10 per month charge for Sky +

al7478 01:25 17 May 2007

Do you know of a relevant link? Are they changing anything else about it,as that almost sounds too good to be true...?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?